270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Transmission cables 44RE 1998 Durango  (Read 14820 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: Transmission cables 44RE 1998 Durango
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:42:23 am »
Man, tough luck. Been there also so I feel your pain. Done a few tranny replacements in my driveway also. Did a clutch replacement on my CJ-7 years ago. Lifted with 36's on it. Had to double stack cement blocks then put the jack on top just to reach the trans/transfer case. Previously me and a buddy thought, "can't be that heavy, lets just horse it out for ourselves". Well to make a short story shorter, we almost died that afternoon. Them things are freakin' heavy! And yes we pulled them out as one unit.  :banging:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »
Should not fall apart now. Welded in 5 places will cut off later. I hope this week I get the transmission in? It's being held up with the 2x4 across the torsion bars now. The old jack would not angle and I should not have to force it in, (somethings never go as planed).   

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »
The jack was not the problem it was me not getting the converter seated in right in the first place. The transmission is in and I started to fix the upstream oxygen sensor wires. I soldered them and have it ready to put back soon. Still have a lot of things to put back and I forgot where stuff goes when I started this job last fall.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:27:53 pm by woodheat/nooil »

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:24 pm »
I hope they work faster then I do? I sent them one guess on how to plug the pipe. Screen grab from this morning.
Anyone else? Here is the link, http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/doc/2931/546759/ and the form http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/doc/2931/546759/

Forgot the saw picture I took yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:31:19 pm by woodheat/nooil »

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »
Some friends stop by to help, and one bite me. Crank sensor in today and lost the two bolts holding the dipstick to the engine. Have to buy some heat shrink tape for the repair to the wires and the bolts I misplaced, (could blame my son but my dad used that one on me). My wife invited her sister over. I can't let them see the car on the jack stands again. They where here when I took out the transfer case and started this job. Another problem a friend of mine dumped a large load of wood for me behind the Durango, so I have to move some logs too. My hands will probably still have either grease or sawdust on them when they show up at my door, it will be close.  If they ask me "so how did it go putting in the transmission"  I'll tell them it was a piece of cake.

They will be here June 26.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:43:41 pm by woodheat/nooil »

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »
sounds like you're finally getting close on this thing...

:popc:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 03:45:36 am »
Close yes, today trip to airport tomorrow bringing my son's car back to the dealer 1997 Subaru clunks on turns and it's not the CV joints. Then crawling under the Durango hope to make some real progress. I know I've said that before. Did a Carfax on the 1997 Subaru the odometer was rolled back from 184,471  to 105,000. Dealer wants to repair transfer case. And also has a Manufacturer recall/service bulletin issued Recall # WWE88 Front Spring Guard Recall.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:32:34 am by woodheat/nooil »

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »
Transfer Case in, Drive Shafts in and all that is left is to pick up the new Y-pipe on the exhaust. I will get that tomorrow no car to pick them up today. I guess 10qts. of Super Tech ATF+4 should be enough. Raining will post pictures when done hope I have no leaks from when it fell of the H/F jack when I did not have it welded. On the bright side my company is not coming this weekend to say with us.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:59:31 pm by woodheat/nooil »

Offline woodheat/nooil

• Awards:
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »
Well it passed inspection with no codes thank you Kilch123 for the pin diagram. Some mistakes that I made, (in random order). One simple one was the next time I do a rear brake job have someone hit the brake pedal then watch the brakes and watch them release!  I probably would not have had to do this job in the first place. Making a diagram of some sort of the bolts and sizes & placement would have helped. Another stupid mistake was putting the pan, Y-pipe and front drive shaft in and thinking the catalytic converter pipe will go back in, Wrong. I should have put that in when the transmission pan was all the way to the back and no Y-pipe or front brace in you need all the room that you can get to fit that pipe in from the front.

Read all you can before doing a job! I did not add the one quart of fluid into the toque converter the transmission had a pump whine noise but is getting lower now that I put a few miles on it. The adapter jack that I brought from Harbor Freight I should have tack welded it first place then the 44RE transmission would not have fell off of it and onto the cement, (one bolt to hold it onto your floor jack is not that safe in my mind) lucky no one got hurt. I would not have ripped the wiring harness connectors off when it fell to the side. The TV Cable adjustment I hope is close? But most importantly remember to re-turn all the tools that I borrowed on this job back to my uncle and the real transmission jack to the best excavator I will ever know, (90 years young).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:14:09 pm by woodheat/nooil »

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »
Congrats! :clap:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 01:34:01 am »
Glad to hear it's back among the living...

As long as you learn from the mistakes, consider them  :quote: Learning Opportunities  :quote: and not mistakes...
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc