270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: General Facts  (Read 5568 times)

Offline QUACKSTACKER

• Sr Technician
  • Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.
  • Awards:
    High Milage
General Facts
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:15:49 pm »

Thanks to its partnership with Mitsubishi during the 1990s, Dodge offered the Stealth sport coupe, which, depending on trim level, offered a lot of show with little go, a lot of show with respectable go or a lot of show with a lot of go.

The Stealth was either front- or all-wheel drive and powered by engines ranging from a mild 164-horsepower V6 to a twin-turbo version with nearly twice the power.

The coolest was the 300-hp (later 320) twin-turbo Dodge Stealth R/T that could run with the fastest sports cars of its day. The security of four driven wheels put it at ease doing so, and strong grip, strong brakes and styling that turned heads for six straight years rounded out the package. In short, the Dodge Stealth, at least in twin-turbo form, commanded respect.

Most recent Dodge Stealth

The Dodge Stealth ran from 1991-'96 and initially came in four trim levels: base, ES, R/T and R/T Twin Turbo. Base versions were powered by a 3.0-liter V6 with 164 hp and 185 pound-feet of torque. The ES and R/T stepped up to the plate with a 24-valve DOHC version with 222 hp and 201 lb-ft of torque. The R/T Twin Turbo boasted 300 hp and 307 lb-ft. Performance of the latter was thrilling, with zero to 60 mph taking just over 5 seconds.

All except the R/T Twin Turbo were front-wheel drive and offered a choice of a five-speed manual transmission or optional four-speed automatic. The R/T Twin Turbo had all-wheel drive and didn't offer the automatic.

Base cars offered swoopy looks but little else. The ES provided the more powerful V6, 16-inch alloy wheels and foglights, while the R/T featured 17-inch alloys, a body kit (that gave it a pinched waist look), rear spoiler, antilock brakes, full power accessories, air-conditioning and an upgraded sound system. The R/T Twin Turbo added the powerhouse engine, all-wheel-drive system and four-wheel steering.

The Dodge Stealth received steady changes over the years. After some across-the-board content upgrades for 1993 (such as standard leather for the R/T Twin Turbo), the first major freshening came in 1994. Reworked styling replaced the pop-up headlights with projector units and the interior gained a second airbag. The ES trim was dropped while the R/T Twin Turbo became an even stronger performer thanks to a boost from 300 to 320 hp, the addition of a 6th gear to the gearbox and upgraded brakes.

The following year the R/T Twin Turbo gained 18-inch alloy wheels. The Stealth's last year, 1996, brought a new rear spoiler, a body-colored roof and the R/T Twin Turbo's option of chrome wheels. (Mitsubishi's 3000GT remained in production until 1999.)

For the serious driving enthusiast, the non-turbo Stealths are a bit of a letdown. Still, the 222-hp Stealths could serve as a decent (and likely more reliable) alternative to domestic-brand coupes like the Ford Mustang V6 or Chevrolet Camaro V6.

Assuming one can be found in good condition, the real incentive to buy the Dodge Stealth is the R/T Twin Turbo. Although the basics remained intact throughout their run, the 1994-'96 models are a little more desirable due to the extra power and additional gear in the transmission. Also, the R/T would make a true year-round sports car thanks to its all-wheel-drive traction.

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
Re: General Facts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:30 pm »
if only they didnt kill it, that was a sweet car

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline dakotamagnum97

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:21 am »
I have been researching these cars for a while and I am itching to get ahold of a stealth tt sooooo baddd
1997 Dakota sport 5.2
flowmaster super 44
dynomax super converter
180* stat
SCT tuned by hemifever!
spectrum cold air intake
and more to come!

Cutterw

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:34 am »
When I was growing up, before I got my Cummins, I wanted one of those.  I searched and searched and all I could find were the R/T but never R/T Twins. 

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:40:28 pm »
I don't think I would fit in one, but they do look like fun cars to have. 

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Southern Belle

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorLay'n LowHigh Mile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »
you could fit the front seats arent really al that cramped

_(O|||||||O)_

Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour turns out to be a retard in tin foil.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc