270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 04.5 eating belts  (Read 1559 times)

Offline sutton

• Awards:
04.5 eating belts
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:48:07 am »
Hi,
    I have an 04.5 with 90k on the ticker.  It has eatin 3 or 4 belts in the past year.  Seems to start on the engine side of the belt.  Not sure where it is hitting.  I have purchased the belts from both Geno's and the dealer and am sure they are the correct ones.  Read on the other forum that it could be the tensioner.  Was thinking of taking it to the dealer but thought if it is the tensioner I could save the money and do it myself.  Would rather not go to the dealer seeing I had to drop over 2k in the past month or so on ball joints, u-joints and the integrated power module. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what was the cause?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jakebrake

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Wired
  • Awards:
    MileHighTech
Re: 04.5 eating belts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:08:42 am »
Could be a tensioner. The thing to look for is a pulley that is tapered or the bearings are loose on. Pull the belt off and check for movement in the pulley shafts. The two most common are the water pump and the tensioner.
*2015 Durango R/T
*2006 Durango Limited
*2000 F250

Special thanks to Rich at www.doghousediesel.com

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:35:27 am »
I had to replace my water pump back 8 months or so ago as the bearings on the shaft had gone and it was pissing fluid. When i pulled the belt off so i could replace the pump I noticed that the belt was chewed up, so I replaced the belt at the same time and I haven't had any issues since and the belt still looks new. So that may be your issue and it just hasn't started to leak yet.
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:08:02 pm »
Any of the pullies not being in line or not spinning true could cause this.  As well as a bend in one of them. 
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc