270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Vibration- 2003 Ram 2500 SLT  (Read 14648 times)

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
Vibration- 2003 Ram 2500 SLT
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi all,
New to the site and new to the world of Dodge ownership.  I have an issue with a Dodge 2500 SLT Quad with the Hemi and was told this is the site to go to! 
I know- I would have done a search but there could be several reasons for a vibration so I wanted to give you the specific symptons in hopes of some help.

While in 2 wd- on and off there is a vibration from what I believe is a bad u-joint or two in the driveline, probably the rear driveshaft.  You cannot always feel it.  It does NOT do it while under power, it is most profound at "crusing" speed or while decelerating.  It's almost like a hop, fairly violent and shakes the truck pretty good at 60 MPH.  Am I on the right track with the u-joint??  I should also add that the ABS light is on and I have been told it needs a new ABS sensor.  brakes wer ejust replaced and feel great but the light is on.  I don't believe the sensor has anyhting to do with this but I am not an expert on ABS systems.
Thanks for the help, great site.

:punk:
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
Re: Vibration- 2003 Ram 2500 SLT
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:29 pm »
it could be a u-joint....sounds like what mine was doing when I had one go bad.....

Is it doing this?

as for the ABS light, has it been on since the brakes were changed, its possible one of the sensors was damaged when the brakes were replaced...

ohh BTW :welcome:

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »
Welcome!

Sounds like it could be your carrier bearing on the driveshaft, mine did the same thing it went out.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.  I need to take a closer look at the u-joint.  If that's not it, I'll definitely have to consider that carrier bearing.  Would that mean a new driveshaft or can you get just the bearing???

As for the ABS- yes the brakes are new and were replaced by the previous owner.  He was told an ABS sensor needs to be replaced.  The Parking Brake light also stays on- which may mean the parking brake isn't right on it.

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:14 pm »
They would just replace the carrier bearing. It could also be a driveshaft weight, if you lost one of those then you will need a new driveshaft.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »
Hey ZR, nice to see you came over and asked!

This is a great group of people here!

I hope you find out what the problem is especially if your going to be plowing with that truck.

Unfortunately i do not know a rod from bolt in the world of mechanics so i am unable to help, but you're in the right place  :up:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »
Thanks, I'll be looking into it this weekend.  Hoping it's one of those non-greasbale u joints that I can repalce with something that is actually greasable.  Not sure who's bright idea that was  :90:

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »
Welcome to the Forum ZR  :up: It's Not Like alot of the Others Out There :welcome:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »
Welcome ZR!

To inspect your universal joints, you'll need to set the park brake (make sure it works before getting under the truck) - may want to chock the wheels as well...

With the transmission in neutral (to releive the stress off the drive shaft) check for play in the universal joints (in up and down, side to side, and rotation) - there should be no play.  Look at each end of the universal joints where they go into the caps, and look for signs of lube leaking out, or rust coming out - either one is a sign of a bad joint.

For the carrier bearing - lift up and down on it - it should have no play - there will be slight flexing of the rubber it's mounted in.

On to the brake issues:
The ABS light that's on - you may be able to get it scanned at an autozone or advance auto for free - that will tell you which sensor is bad (if that is the problem)
The other light - is it a parking brake light, or brake warning light (that happens to come on when the park brake is applied-I can't remember on those trucks)?
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
Thanks for the thoroughness bud.  I'll be checking the driveshaft this weekend.

ABS light- My buddy has an OBDII scanner but will that bring up brake issue codes??

The other light- I would have to check the owner's manual to be sure, but it's a red light right in the lower/center of the dash.  Looks like the "parking brake on" light to me.  No issues at all with the brakes.  They are brand new and feel brand new.  I am guessing a sensor got damaged, not sure if that would throw this other light on as well?  I know on my Tundra, I had an emmissions issue and there were were check engine, 4Lo lights, VSC, etc. lights all  flashing for what was really just a "check engine" issue.
I might regret selling my 86 1 ton for this newer rig- too many lights! ;D

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »
I'm sending you a PM

:mail:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »
you should still be able to check the codes without the scanner by useing the key trick, turn key to on (not start) 3 times and the codes if any will display on the dash...
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:10:26 pm »
you should still be able to check the codes without the scanner by useing the key trick, turn key to on (not start) 3 times and the codes if any will display on the dash...

WILL DO, thanks  ;D

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »
The red brake light will always come on with the abs warning lamp.

:welcome:

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 09:00:36 pm »
I do like this site  :punk:  That was my guess, will hook up the scanner this weekend. 
Pretty excited about the truck, seems pretty stout.  Front end actually feels real tight. 

Question for you guys about the trannies on these things........I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Dodge trannies but is there really a problem as long as stuff is maintained and used properly??  I'm going to use the truck to plow so I plan on installing an aftermarket tranny temp gauge.  I'll also flush the tranny and put in new fluid.  With the right maintenance and care should I really expect any probelms at 107K miles???  It feels fine, shifts fine.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc