270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2003 Hemi- Programmers??  (Read 9228 times)

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
Re: 2003 Hemi- Programmers??
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
Thanks for the update, that explains it.  Maybe they will figure out........if you hear of anything please keep me posted.

:up:
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »
 When I talked to them and asked about that they said you could adjust shift points and that when u change the tire sizes it willl change them automatically for something that better suits that size. Since I have to have my truck dyno tuned I wonder if they can adjust the shift points then.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 08:56:53 pm »
You can do some minor adjustments on it.

Changing the tire size doesn't really change the shift points, it's just recalibrates the speedometer so that the trans changes gears at the right time, as well as corrects ABS errors.

I know on the 2010 that I just tuned, it allows you to adjust shift points based on MPH in each gear. It also allows you to adjust the downshift in the gears based on throttle position. You could also adjust the line pressure to firm up the shifts.

The biggest thing that it doesn't do is allow you to turn off the torque management.

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:19 pm »
You can do some minor adjustments on it.

Changing the tire size doesn't really change the shift points, it's just recalibrates the speedometer so that the trans changes gears at the right time, as well as corrects ABS errors.

I know on the 2010 that I just tuned, it allows you to adjust shift points based on MPH in each gear. It also allows you to adjust the downshift in the gears based on throttle position. You could also adjust the line pressure to firm up the shifts.

The biggest thing that it doesn't do is allow you to turn off the torque management.

Right, that can be done on 04-10 Ram's.  Not the 03 though, probably for the reason you mentioned.  Unfortunately, truly changing shift points is what I need.  Tire size and calibrations really won't do much. 
In the winter I have 1000lbs in the bed and 1000lbs. of plow on the front.  From 2nd gear on up, it shifts too early with all the weight.

;D

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »
I'm pretty curious now about the whole 45 and 545 dilima. Wonder if you had the 545 if you could just get a programmaer for the 04 so you can adjust line pressures and stuff. Let me know if you find out if that's possible. Not sure which I have but id say I have the 545 snce my truck was custom ordered, have to find out

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »
So in my quest to find a solution to shifting of the 545 RFE in my 03 Ram I stumbled upon this:
Scroll down to the line pressure boost:
http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rfe_performance_parts_from_pat.htm

Anyone have any experience with these??  For $50 not sure I could go wrong.  I talked to the tech who said it will work fine on the stock transmission.  I realize he is 1/2 salesman so looking for some more input.
THANKS.

;D

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 03:47:12 am »
man they make alot of pretty cool stuff for the 45/545rfe's good find on that one. i think imma order me one of those line pressure booster plugs and some of that raptor blood racing tranny fluid when i get ready to have my filter changed out.

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »
I talked with the tech (who is 1/2 salesman I know)  but he said it would make for firmer shifts- especially in early 545 RFE's.  He also said it would be fine for a stock tranny, that's what it was actually made for.  The boost helps take away some of the sluggish shifting when the truck is loaded (ya know- being used like a truck).  He said empty, you don't notice a big difference.  He seemed like a straight shooter and what the heck for $50!!  I ordered the part and some filters.  I'm gonna do my tranny fluid change first then run the truck for a little while.  I'll throw the boost in after some miles to see what the actual difference is and report back.
 :cheers: 

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc