270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: About time I made up my mind!  (Read 3536 times)

Offline rocko

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSMC
About time I made up my mind!
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
So, I finally made up my mind about what direction I want to take my truck.  I want to make it a solid towing rig...and it is also a daily driver.  I plan on getting a 5th wheel RV here before the end of the year and would like to build my truck on that purpose.  Recently, I drove from California to North Carolina with a Gross Weight of just over 18k lbs.  I was not happy with the mpg (between 9-11mpg) and was very sad that it dropped even lower once I passed 60mph.  I would like a solid truck with solid handling that will get half way decent fuel economy and able to tow at 65-75mph.

Here is what I have so far:

'04 Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab, Short Bed 2wd 4.10 w/auto trans
Smarty Sr. POD
Quadzilla Scout monitor
DogHouse Diesel Trans Temp line thingy
AFE Stage II Intake w/Pro Guard 7
S&B Intake Manifold
Mag-Hytec Trans and Diff covers
Prodigy Brake Controller

Ok, so  where to go from here?  I don't want to waste money or time on parts that are not needed for my goals.
'04 2500 5.9L CTD Auto, Smarty S06 POD, AFE Stage II Intake, S&B Intake Manifold, Quadzilla Scout Monitor, Dog House Diesel Transmission Temp Thingy, I.I. Adjustable Boost Elbow, Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, EBC Pads and Rotors, Prodigy Brake Controller.

"I need to watch things die." - M.J.K.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: About time I made up my mind!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:27 pm »
Honestly, with 4.10 gears, and pulling a 5th wheel, you're pretty much in the ballpark with 9 to 11 MPG

The weight is a big issue, but the wind resistence is another major factor (especially as you increase speed)

Does your truck have 4" exhaust all the way back?  if not, opening it up may help a little bit

Just running your Smarty with wild timing (keep everything else fairly mild) will help too
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline rocko

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSMC
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »
Thanks. 

Yeah I was looking at doing a 5'' WITH A MUFFLER!  Right now, my muffler and cat went away and, well, that was retarded loud while towing.

Think it would help if I changed the gears from 4.10 to something different?  Or would that not be worth the hassle?
'04 2500 5.9L CTD Auto, Smarty S06 POD, AFE Stage II Intake, S&B Intake Manifold, Quadzilla Scout Monitor, Dog House Diesel Transmission Temp Thingy, I.I. Adjustable Boost Elbow, Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, EBC Pads and Rotors, Prodigy Brake Controller.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:48:14 pm »
I've got the 3.55 gear, and with my 5th on, got 11mpg at 65mph

probably would take a LOOOONG time to pay for the swap
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
Tom's right. Pulling a good sized fifth wheel 9-11mpg is about right on. The 3:55's might help when empty, but not worth the trade for the added grunt the 4:10's will get you. I recommend staying with the 4:10's. 4" exhaust with a good muffler will help. You got a good intake, keep it clean, dirty filters will hurt mileage also. Drive a little slower. Going from 60 to 70 mph cost me almost 2 mpg. I run a wind deflector also which helps a little, maybe 1mpg. The biggest thing is I can actually 'feel' the difference between it being on or off, so I know it helps some. In the grand scheme of things mileage depends on where you are towing. On many miles of flat towing with little head wind I've experienced as much as 14mpg. While towing thru hills and valleys I've been down as low as 7mpg.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
With those goals in mind, my next purchases would be these.....

1 - 4" exhaust with either an MBRP or Magnaflow muffler
2 - Good triple disk TC and VB
3 - 50 HP injectors (no bigger)
4 - 62 / 13 / 71 turbo (either HTT or II)

Offline rocko

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSMC
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »
Thank you everybody. 

Now I got some goals for the savings account :$:

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »
For the towing side if you don't have one already you're gonna need a fifth wheel hitch. Because you have a short bed you're gonna need a sliding one for tight turns. They're anywhere from $500-2000 depending on what you want. I'd also recommend a set of airbags for the rear. They really help out with the heavy load of a fiver. $250-750 depending on how fancy you get. As far as the gearing you could always put a little taller tire on. It's a lot easier than changing gears. I have the 3.73's and wish I had the 4.10's. 70-72 mph is where the engine is happiest and that's too much wind drag. It really cuts the mpg. :cents:

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »
I have 3:73's pulling 8000# and I'm in the 9/10 mpg range. But I will keep a eye on this Thread

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:29:56 am »
Yup, pulling my camper (in my sig) @ around 8500lbs I get between 9 - 13 mpg. The funny thing is the 13 MPG was pulling through the western NC mountains. The key is that the speed limit and traffic kept my speeds at around 50 - 55 for most of the trip. The mods Rich and some of the other guys recommended will make towing safer and more comfortable, but I don't know how much they will increase mileage.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline AeroRam

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • What'd I miss?
  • Awards:
    ROTM400AF
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:49:43 am »
Anyone know what Walt's been getting and what his rig weighs in at? suprised he hasn't came through here yet?

'06-4x4-2500
ATS|II|DDP|Suncoast|MADS|Edge|BD|Carli|Nitto

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
dont forget the airbags for pure towing comfort... :D

it aint low till it scars asphalt