270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: inspecting hub bearing?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline tresvn

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile ClubDonor
inspecting hub bearing?
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:41:52 pm »
Is there a way to inspect/ test the hub bearing?  Last year i did the drivers side but didn't really have the $$ to do the other side. Before I change the passengers side is there a way to check it ? I thought i read something here but i couldn't find it in a search, if it is here somewhere can someone point me in that direction. thanks Brian   
99 1500 sport 5.2 std cab long bed

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
Re: inspecting hub bearing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:10 pm »
Can you hear any noise comming from it? The only way to really test it is to jack up the wheel off the ground and see if there is any movement in it. If there is movement, have someone look to make sure it's the hub/bearing and not the ball joints.

:cheers:

Offline tresvn

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile ClubDonor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »
My truck is pretty loud so i wouldnt hear much. When the last one went I  heard a gringing sound for about 5 seconds found nothing when i looked then 2 days later I heard the grinding again and the wheel came loose immediately. I recently changed all the steering parts had a mechanic friend look at it he said it looked good. Its been like 2 months and now i am getting a wobble from the front that started on Thursday.I was planning on going over everything on the front end his weekend but we are expecting 4 " of rain so now i am just collecting info till the rain stops

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:10:06 pm »
If the bearing/hub assembly is real bad, you will be able to move the wheel/tire with a firm tug on it....back and forth.

:cheers:
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Offline tresvn

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile ClubDonor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:42:03 am »
So it's not the hub bearing, they both seem pretty tight. I did however find a loose nut on the new track bar I installed. I tightened it up but i'm sure its not in the right spot. I'll be taking it to the mechanic at work tomorrow. Hopefully he has time this week to look at it I hate leaving the truck at the shop. I found something about how to adjust it on a cummins forum I found thru google but I'd rather  have experienced
eyes and hands on it. I'll let ya know how i make out.

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:50:27 am »
Don't be scared of the track bar.  If one of the bolts for it is loose, just jack up the frame and put some stands under it (not the axle, you want to un-load the axle), and crank both nuts down to their proper spec (if you need that I can llok it up for you, or someone else will pipe up with it).  It's just that easy, if you have a few basic tools and a torque wrench.  I'm also assuming you have a stock front end setup and not a lifted truck with an adjustable trackbar.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline tresvn

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile ClubDonor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:05 am »
I have a stock fromt end , but i bought the adjustable one (not on pourpse). I told the NAPA guy i wanted a track bar for the truck and thats what he gave me. Can i still use the adjustable one with the stock front end? Or am I buying a new one?

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc