270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: tierods on a 99 2500 4x4  (Read 1741 times)

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
tierods on a 99 2500 4x4
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »
i replace my tie rod ends on my 99 ram 2500 4x4

i got started before i thought to take pics :banging: but did get some as soon as i got it on the bench.
i replaced the inner RH tie rod at connecting tie rod end, and the tierod at the pitman arm.

you start off by takin the cotter pin out, then removing the holding nut, then taking a tierod tool and splitting the tierod end from which part it is connecting to (steering knuckle, another tierod, or pitman arm) if you dont have one, you can use a hammer and hit it a few times.

once i got both ends out, i took it to the box. i started off by measureing it to get it as close as possible to where it is supposed to be. i hooked one end of the tape measure to the grease joint, and marked the tape measure on the other end at the grease fitting.

next, you take the the bolt loose from the connecting sleeve, and twist the tie rod out.

on the new tierods, u have to install the grease cert

then you twist the new ones in, and line them up using the measurement from before.

then tighten the connecting sleeve up holding the tie rods in place.

then carry the assymbly back to the truck and reinstall it. putting both ends back where they belong.

then put the nuts on, and tighten to specs.

then slide the cotter pin in. if it does not line up, turn the nut to where the whole is lined up with one of the slots.

then bend the cotter pin over, to keep it from falling out

then enjoy your ride with better steering  :up:
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: tierods on a 99 2500 4x4
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:33 am »
 :clap: :clap:

Nice Job Ed!
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc