270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2003 Ram axle seal and both front wheel bearings  (Read 1521 times)

Offline bigred9980

• Awards:
2003 Ram axle seal and both front wheel bearings
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »
I own a 2003 Ram, quad cab 4x4 20" wheels with the Hemi and am experiencing some issues.   I have a leak in the front passenger axel seal and both of my front wheel bearings need replaced.  Has anyone worked on these and if so do you have any suggestions or other sites for me on how to replace these parts.  Also, I have a garage with all of the equiptment that I would need to do work but I need to let the owner know about how long it will take to work on the truck.  Thanks, ane the rear breaks and rotors need replaced.  I think that I can take care of that but if you have any suggestions please feel free to add any imput.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: 2003 Ram axle seal and both front wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »
This might come in handy :up:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline bigred9980

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »
 :clap:

Thanks for the info, looks like that will give me a good place to start.

Offline bigred9980

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:48:39 am »
So I bought the bearing hub assembly and the seal from the auto parts store.  I asked him if I would need anything else and he said no.  Do I need any grease, lubricant or any other parts for this?  Also, does anyone have a guide for how to do the wheel bearings?

Thanks,

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline bigred9980

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »
So this past weekend we got the truck into the garage and started looking at the suspension and bearings.  With only 72,000 miles we didn't think the bearings were the cause of the issue so we started checking other possible areas.  We found that the lower ball joint was bad.  We went ahead and changed the lower ball joint and wheel bearings, at some point they would have gone out and I already had them so while the suspension was torn apart we thought we would go ahead and get er' done.  It took us 3 hours and none of us had ever worked on a Dodge before.  We did have someone who had a lot of experience helping my Dad and I so if you don't have someone with experience you might want to call a buddy before you tear into this project.  There is a DIY on wheel bearnings for a 3rd Gen HD that helped a lot.

Since we just did one side should we do the other ball joint and wheel bearings on the other side?  Also, should there be much play in the upper suspension arm/tierod bolts that hook to the wheel assembly?  When we put them back on we thought that there was a lot of play and that we might need to fix those next.  Everything feels fine and the pop that I used to hear is gone so I know that the repairs fixed the issue but I want to make sure that I don't mess what we did up by not doing the other side or fixing the other possible issues.

On a side note, this site rocks and thanks for the information! :punk:

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
Red glad you made it and it helped you out. I told your dad they would help you here. And this place Does Rock

You should replacew your tierod ends when you can there should not be much play in them

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc