270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Another "New Bike" thread.......lol  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Buzzy

• To Bad I can't really shake it that good
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
Another "New Bike" thread.......lol
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »
Ok so I couldn't stand it any more. I have been wanting a bike for a long time but just couldn't see paying the price tag for what I really wanted. I have always wanted a Goldwing. So I started shopping for used ones with the intention of financing it thru the credit union. And then I went to look on Ebay and I found a few brand spanking new 2008 Models left over and sitting on the dealer lot in Shawnee Oklahoma and in Arkansas.
They were full blown "Airbag" models and fully loaded and $7k cheaper than buying a new 2010 model. In fact, I saw used 2008's selling for what I bought this one brand new!

So off we went 475 miles to Shawnee Oklahoma to buy it. The color is Dark Cherry Red but looks more like a cross between Plum and Black Cherry. We get there at 9am when they openned and looked around a bit. I looked at the one we chose based on the colors we though they were but in person, the 2008 colors look a lot different than the pictures we found on the internet. But in the end we kept the Dark cherry.
I tell ya what, even though they told me these Goldwing 1800 motors are "Bench Broke" meaning there is no break in period, this bike still got a work out coming home. With 475 miles of 99% interstate to go, I was 80 mph right from the start and never let up till I got to Dallas and hit traffic. Soon as we crossed the Texas state line (wife was in the truck following), the wind kicked up and the skies turned black and blue. The trees along the highway were not just bending over in the wind, they were swirling around like you see when a tornado is near and the winds are swirling.

The winds were at least 30-40 mph all the way to Dallas. Once I got thru Dallas, about 10 miles south of I-30, the gravel and dust on the shoulder were sweeping across the highway sandblasting me. I bet that bike stayed leaning at a 10-15% angle towards the right the whole way. At one point the gust got so bad that I had to pull over and collect my self. It actually blew me over almost to the left shoulder and center divider. I used the counter steering method most of the way and that seamed to help from getting blown around in my lane. Leaning didn't do squat and just made me bounce around my lane a lot. As if the wind wasn't enough, across the flat plains south of Dallas, I could see massive rain showers! So I kicked it up to around 90 mph for the next 150 miles or so. Surprisingly, the bike was a little more stable and din't buck in the crosswind as much. I seemed to just miss the bands of showers right as the started to cross the Interstate. I would catch a few sprinkles and duck behind the windshield but it only lasted a minute or two.

And then it happened! I could see the edge of this massive 300 mile wide system and I saw the sunlight hitting the highway on the other side! Only one problem, there was another band of showers that was beginning to cross the highway and there was no way to avoid it this time. I ducked behind the windshield and braced my self for what I thought would happen. It started POURING down big time! I slowed to around 60 and couldn't see crap thru the windshield but I could see enough to continue on. It lasted about 5 minutes then let up. To my surprise, only my arms got wet! A few more miles and I was finally in the sunlight! We stopped for fuel and a cig break and continued on home. What a friggin Ride! Why can't I ever find deals on stuff near my home??

Anyway, i do not have pictures yet. I will get some tonight after I wash the layer of bug shit of the front and get it cleaned up. But I did take a few pictures while still in Oklahoma before all Hell broke loose!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:19:12 am by Buzzy »

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Another "New Bike" thread.......lol
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:28:11 pm »
Did your wife laugh that the sales person was named Dawn also?

Hope you love your new toy.  The two of you should have some wonderful experiences on that :up:

Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Buzzy

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:21 pm »
Yeah I told her and said that it was just meant to be. Was kind of a selling point from me to the wife! lol

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:54:46 pm »
I see a temp gauge. Is it water cooled?
Best of luck with it brotha !! :cheers:

Offline Buzzy

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:17:41 pm »
I see a temp gauge. Is it water cooled?
Best of luck with it brotha !! :cheers:

Yes sir it is a water cooled 1832 cc horizontally opposed 6 cylinder engine and a 5 speed transmission with electric reverse.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:22 pm »
Wow! A Goldwing! That is the Cadillac of bikes! That's a really nice new ride. Glad you got threw all that stuff yesterday ok. It never opened up here, though it did get pretty dark. I am really gonna miss Texas.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »
yea.. talk about a cushy cruiser...

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »
I DON'T Care WHAT your Excuse is :pics: :pics: :lol: Glad you like it, Stop by some time on your way to the Hill Country :up: :up: :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:06:18 pm »
You sure you didn't buy a car?   :eek:  That thing looks plush

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:55:56 am »
You sure you didn't buy a car?   :eek:  That thing looks plush

:lol: :lol:

Real bikes don't have windshields.  :poke:  ;D

Congrats man, nice ride. Enjoy.  :up:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:16:23 am »
Wow, nice but damn, those things cost how much new?  :eek:  Crap , you can get a car for that... hmmm or better yet all of Richs mods..  ;D
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:39:31 pm »
Wow, nice but damn, those things cost how much new?  :eek:  Crap , you can get a car for that... hmmm or better yet all of Richs mods..  ;D

A new one is around $27K - $28K. Glyn found a SMOKIN' deal on these left over '08's.

Offline Buzzy

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:46:03 pm »

A new one is around $27K - $28K. Glyn found a SMOKIN' deal on these left over '08's.

Yep, a dealer in Shawnee Oklahoma has several left over 08' Airbag models for $19,499 ( black) and $19,799 for all other colors. Add another $119 in misc. fee's and you are out the door for $19,918 and you pay taxes in you own home state when you register it.
The cheapest I found a left over 08' here in Houston was $21,995 and that was the ABS model not the Airbag model which is $2k more. There is also a dealer in New Jersey who has a similar deal but only in Black I think.

Anyone looking to make the plunge any time soon needs to jump on this deal, they won't last long!
Oh and by the way, they have "left over" brand new 2007 Honda Auqua Trax 3 seater jet ski's Turbo and Non Turbo models for 50% off !! You can buy 2 brand spanking new 3 seaters Turbo's and double trailer for around $12,500 total out the door.

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:29 pm »
Congrats man, even Harley guys I know wish they had a goldwing.

I see you have reverse too! What does the "airbag model" mean?

Offline Buzzy

• Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:45:49 pm »
Congrats man, even Harley guys I know wish they had a goldwing.

I see you have reverse too! What does the "airbag model" mean?
The airbag is just what it implies. There is an airbag in front of the driver. 4 sensors on the front detect a front impact and deploy the airbag in .015 of a second. Here is a video showing it in action.  And yes, it has electric reverse.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc