270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: weight vs cost calculations  (Read 2506 times)

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
weight vs cost calculations
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:13:41 pm »
OK, so this may not be the right section for this. We are getting ready to move and are debating on weather some things are worth taking with us vs buying new when we got to our new home. I was wondering if there were any known calculations on what it costs to add X to the trailer.

Is there something like these (these are just examples I made up) out there:
for every 100 lbs added to the trailer it cost an additional $.26 per mile
for every 100 lbs your average MPG decreses by .1

If anyone knows of anything like that, or others, it would be helpfull.

Thanks,
John P.
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: weight vs cost calculations
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:48 pm »
John - I think wind resistance is gonna make a lot more difference than weight

I see some people here comparing mileages with campers of varying weights, and their mileage is pretty close, even when the campers weigh quite a bit different
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:27 pm »
OK but all things the same, same trailer, same wind resistance. Does it cost more to add more weight to the trailer?

We are debating on things like our dressers and stuff and if it takes us another trip cross country would it be worth taking them or selling them. We are trying to weigh the cost of transporting things across the country verses buying them again.

Crude example:
A blahblahblah costs us $20 to buy, but is heavy and it will cost us $30 to take it with us cross country. At that point we would try and sell the blahblahblah before moving and buy another one whne we get there...

That's why we are looking to find a calculation as to what that blahblahblah would cost for us to transport out, becasue the less trips we need to take the better, as my average estimate for fuel, food, lodging and etc per one way trip is just about $1200, but if I was going to drive back and spend roughly another $2400 to move $800 worth of stuff then that would be pointless...

We are just trying to make the move as easy as possible...
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:44 am »
is the possibility of renting a blahblahblah?  :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry had to use that...

how big of a trailer are you taking? is there a way that you could also rent a large u-haul

WHAT ABOUT A POD ???

http://www.pods.com/

maybe cheaper than doing it yourself ??? just a thought
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:37:26 am »
I already have a 28' enclosed car trailer, but since it has cabinet, sink and shower I can only fit 1 car in it at a time, but I have plenty of room to pack houshold goods as well. The issue is that I has 3 cars that need to be transported, one in the trailer plus the houshold goods, and the other 2 I need to make arraingments for, we are debating on making trips back for them verses having them shipped out (or getting someone to follow us out with another car hauler) If we make multiple trips we can get all the houshold goods no problem, but if we decide to just make the one trip and have the cars brought out seperatly, we need to get picky on what gets sold off here before we go so that we take what we need/want...

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:50:01 am »
A pod is a great Idea only thing is it cost my old boss who retired 2300 to move to texas... He got three pods and still packed his Van full of stuff.. I can understand the Dressers and kitchen tables and stuff like that.. But if you move with out them are you going to stop off and at Store and buy them that day?
if not you'll be eating off the carpet...
As far as the pods go it would be cost effective for you to get them if you was to move everything. But you still have vehicles to move at the same time...
 I'd help anyway I can But with Red trans issues I really don't think I'd be able to help out much. I am to scared Red with have a trans failure out on the road away from home...
RED 2004.5 dodge Ram 3500 qc long bed CTD

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:37 am »
I don't think that weight vs. mileage costs would make much of a difference in the final outcome. It would probably be close in costs weather the trailer was half empty or full. Probably the only major savings would be if you could eliminate one trip. If the furniture/beds and such are not heirlooms, and you could do with or without it, and you don't mind getting by for a few days to a week without it, maybe unload it and get new when your at your destination. But that would only pay out if it eliminated a trip. If you got to go back for half a load, might as well make it a full load.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc