270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: First ride of the season  (Read 3138 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
First ride of the season
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:03:00 am »
It was nice today so I decided to take the boat out for a ride up the river. Took my small camera with me and took a few shots as I rode up and down the river. Was a nice ride up river, but when I turned around to come back, the wind picked up. So I battled waves, headwind, and big wakes all the way back. All together about a 12 mile ride. Quite a few pics....

This is where the big lakers come in to drop off stone.

The GM Powertrain plant

Small tug

Railroad bridge. It swings in the middle. Still operational. There used to be a road bridge next to it that operated the same way...until it collapsed. Now its a new drawbridge.

First pic is a old boat warehouse. The second used to be a large hardware wholesale business. Now both are turned into condos.

Nice old 'woody'

Marina where I got my motor from. You all know what's next door.  :43:

The Appledore. Interesting note, in July they are having a tall ships celebration in the river. Will get about a dozen tall ships for the weekend. Very cool!

Vet's park,  with outside music stage. The college Planetarium is the colored building in the background.

Met this guy coming at me down the river.

This was floating in the river. Imagine smacking this thing at about 20 knots or so.  :eek: Also had to steer around a 25 ft. tree that was floating downstream.

The reason for all the trees/debris floating in the river. Dredging out the river and the turning basin for the big lakers. River runs 28 to 30 ft. deep down its whole length.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: First ride of the season
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:35 am »
This was floating in the river. Imagine smacking this thing at about 20 knots or so.  :eek: Also had to steer around a 25 ft. tree that was floating downstream.

Ken,

That's exactly what you run into going down the Hudson River in NY as you get close to NYC.

Once you hit the Tapanzee Bridge down to NY Harbor, it's like running a damn obstacle course.

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:57 am »
we dont got rivers like that round me
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:09 am »
The river is always like this when the dredge comes to town. The whole river bottom is covered in trees from way back during the logging boom. Some get cut up to get them out of the way and pieces float up on shore and stay there until the water picks up and starts floating it again. Hit this at 20 knots with a 24 foot boat and you could damage the hull and/or wreck the lower unit. I hit it with my 14' rowboat at 20 knots and I'm swimming.   :suicide:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:59:57 am »
Nice pics Ken

Glad that the 'maiden voyage' was without incident!   :up:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:29 pm »
The river is always like this when the dredge comes to town. The whole river bottom is covered in trees from way back during the logging boom. Some get cut up to get them out of the way and pieces float up on shore and stay there until the water picks up and starts floating it again. Hit this at 20 knots with a 24 foot boat and you could damage the hull and/or wreck the lower unit. I hit it with my 14' rowboat at 20 knots and I'm swimming.   :suicide:

Yeah, tell me about it.

I did about $3400 worth of damage to the lower unit about 10 years back.

We were coming down the river and they had torn down a bridge. One one side of the river they're were buoys marking where they had cut the abuttments off. I thought I was well away from them.......yeah, I was.......I went right over the other one that they had cut off about 18" under the water and there was nothing marking it.

Sheared the lower unit clean off. I mean CLEAN off. Looked like it had been sliced with a laser.

Amy and the dogs were sitting in the back, facing backwards. I looked back and went, "WTF was that?"

Amy responds with, "I don't know, but the prop went that way."....pointing back to our 5 o'clock.

:argh:

Ahhh, a boat.....a whole in the water, surrounded by a hull, into which you constantly sink money.

:$:

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:57 pm »
Nice pictures Ken....this country has miles and miles of interior river miles.

Ken,

That's exactly what you run into going down the Hudson River in NY as you get close to NYC.

Once you hit the Tapanzee Bridge down to NY Harbor, it's like running a damn obstacle course.

Ya'll should see what comes down the Mississippi River at the beginning of high river. Incredible what floats down here. I've seen patches of drift that had snagged bouys, even saw what amounted to an island of drift supporting an abandoned refrigerator.

Ahhh, a boat.....a whole in the water, surrounded by a hull, into which you constantly sink money.

Sometimes that reminds me of that highway yacht sitting in my driveway. :whistling:

Naw......it's all good. :up:

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »
Must be nice to have something that's machine powered!  :whistling:

Looks like it was a nice day to be out, but im sure a few degree's warmer would of done the trick.

Now the next time we see pictures from your boat, they better be of a full stringer and a happy fisherman.  :D

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:47:25 am »
Must be nice to have something that's machine powered!  :whistling:

Looks like it was a nice day to be out, but im sure a few degree's warmer would of done the trick.

Now the next time we see pictures from your boat, they better be of a full stringer and a happy fisherman.  :D

I'm hoping so! Right now the water temp. is around 57 degrees. So the fishing is kinda full on/full off right now. Couple weeks ago you could catch your limit of nice walleye in about a hour and a half. Last weekend guys were trolling for up to 12 hours and not getting any keepers. That's why its called fishing and not catching.  ;D

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc