270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Fifth Wheel Hitches  (Read 3397 times)

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
Fifth Wheel Hitches
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:03 am »
A lot of us use our trucks for towing fifth wheel campers. No doubt that there are quite a few makes out there on the market. Having a short bed on my truck forced me to use a slider hitch.

I decided on the Pullrite Superglide 16K hitch. It wasn't hard to install, and works great. It's totally automatic, just back up and it pivots and slides back. No worries.

When the trip is over, everything is removable, and the rubber mat lays over the post holes for a clean bed again.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide.htm

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:56:23 pm by BigRiver »

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
Re: Fifth Wheel Hitches
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »
Here's the budget version slider hitch.  Reese 16k Kwik Slide.  Instead of being automatic like Walt's.  This requires you to pull the handle.  You then hold the trailer brakes and gently pull forward.  This slides the hitch back in the bed to give you another 12-14"of clearance whenever you need it. 

4 pins hold the hitch to the rails installed in the bed.  Pulling the pins and removing the hitch leaves 2 rails in the bed that are almost flat and really don't get in the way.  Some people cover them with a bed mat.

The upside to this type of hitch is price  $500-650.  The downside is having to manually operate it and the rails remaining in the bed.

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »
That's the one I have

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:04 pm »
When I get my massive fifth wheel I am going to go with a good stationary unit and get the Fifth Airborn Sidewinder. The pintle actually pivots instead of the hitch moving back and forth.
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »
I'm in the market for a goose neck horse trailer, and have seen this adaptor made from the Pullrite Co.

It uses the same rails that I have and the platform w/ goose neck sits on them. Kinda slick system, only it doesn't slide. I'd have to make sure that I have some clearance when backing and turning. Generally, the fronts of the horse trailers are not as wide as my 5'ver.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_gooseneck.htm

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:57:24 pm by BigRiver »

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:03:45 am »
Here's my hitch. 20.5k Pullrite Superfifth. Its not a slider but then again my bed is 'right sized'  ;D The second pic is my Mor/ryde pin box. Eliminates the harsh pounding, and the nice thing about this over the airborne and trailair is that there is no air bags and NO MAINTAINENCE required. Check it out.  www.morryde.com

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc