270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: FAQ about detailing.  (Read 2545 times)

Offline BadInfluence

• Awards:
FAQ about detailing.
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:44:00 am »
So with the season to shine up those rides upon us. I have decided to pass on some information as I have had many question at work pertaining to detailing a vehicle. So below I have listed some of the more popular questions I am asked as well as a few I think might help others along the way.

Q: What is the difference between a polish and a wax?
A:A polish is a mildly abrasive substance which sands the surface of paint smooth and allows it to shine. A wax is a non abrasive coating which protects the paint finish and microscopically fills in the pores and dimples in the paint to help the shine.

Q:What is the difference between a natural and synthetic wax?
A: Both are made to protect the clear coat from oxidation. A natural wax is usually made of a combination of Bees Wax, Montan Wax (which is a form of coal), and the Copernicia Prunifera plant grown wildly in Brazil, better known as Carnauba. Since this wax is made of natural products it allows your paint to breath, which in turn in better for your paint. They only downfall is you will have to wax your vehicle more as it will wear quicker then a synthetic wax.

A Synthetic wax is a man made product that is a mix of polymers and plastics. This is a great product for long time protection but doesn't allow your paint to breath.

Spotting the differences between these two wonderful applications is a talent that will come from exposure and experience. When it comes right down to it, you have to look at the hard facts. All-natural carnauba wax offers beautiful, liquid shine that cannot be replicated, but it must be reapplied more frequently than synthetic waxes. Synthetic wax on the other hand, measures up pound-for-pound with its affordable, lasting protection.

Q:Why polish before waxing?
A: Polishing your vehicle's paint fixes the damage caused by the sun, contamination, foreign objects, and washing and drying with poor quality wash mitts and towels. The reason we can see scratches in the clear coat because light reflects off of the edges of the scratches making it stand out among the rest of the flat surface, when polished correctly the edges are gently flattened making the paint look whole. In many cases polishing can remove minor surface scratches and imperfections. making your vehicles paint look like it had just pulled off the show room floor.

Q: How long does a coating of wax last?
A:The life expectancy of a coat of wax depends on many things:

* How well the surface was prepared to accept the wax
    * Local environment (normal conditions and extraordinary events)
    * Condition of paint
    * Number of hours exposed to outside conditions
    * Quality of the wax used and method of application
    * Quality of car wash used (dish soaps will remove wax)

Your best option in all cases is to rely on the highest quality surface care products available and to try and match the wax to the surface to which you are applying it in conjunction with the environment it is most commonly exposed to.

For example: If your finish has been severely neglected, you will achieve the best results using a three step paint restoration system, which includes a specially formulated:

* Paint cleaner
    * Pure polish
    * Pure wax

Q: What should I apply my wax/polish with?
A: Using a applicator pad or a clean microfiber towel is the best product for applying any wax or polish.

Q:What do I use to take a wax/polish off?
A: To take wax off the vehicle after you have let it dry on the vehicle I recommend a new, or clean microfiber towel. These towels will not scratch your paint (as long as they are clean). As for polish, I would recommend using a orbital buffer.

For anymore questions please post them I would like this to be an easy reference for those new into detailing.

~Christina

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: FAQ about detailing.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:47:26 am »
cool :up:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »
What would you recommend on black plastic?  Also what would be good to clean up the black weather striping on the outside of the cab?
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline BadInfluence

• Awards:
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:36:52 am »
What would you recommend on black plastic?  Also what would be good to clean up the black weather striping on the outside of the cab?

The best way to remove wax from vinyl or rubber is to use Vinyl Cleaner. This will emulsify and breakdown the dry wax residue. Any all-purpose cleaner should do the job. Agitating the cleaner by gently scrubbing the surface with a soft bristle brush, like a toothbrush, can help break up the wax as well.

Once you have cleaned the vinyl and/or rubber surface, bring back the natural color and help protect it with an application of a vinyl/rubber conditioner and protectant. There are many products out there for this, most the ones i use are meguiar products such as NXT Tech Protectant, Natural Shine, Gold Class Vinyl/ Rubber Protectant, M-40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner, or Gold Class Trim Detailer.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc