270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Hughes Plenum Kit + Tuneup  (Read 4607 times)

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
Hughes Plenum Kit + Tuneup
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »
Well my parts finally came in today, with a minor snag but that was sorted out already.  (see pics)

cheap oil & filter
syn oil & filter
plugs, wire, cap, rotor
pcv valve
fail safe 192 thermostat
gaskets
seafoam :)
front o2 sensor
bypass hose and upper rad hose

hughes kit

The pan... :/ 

Cuts look great, holes look great, pan is all scratched.  Jo was concerned about it not sealing around the edges with the scratches.  Want to thank her for giving me the shove to call hughes to get fixed up.

Also, here would be the underside.  Comes pre shipped with nicks and gunk already attached lol

Either way, I called hughes and got it sorted out.  It was no hassel to have them ship a new one out.  I said I was planning on doing the plenum this weekend and wondered what it would cost to have it by friday.  He offered to split the overnight cost and went ahead with it.  It should have been right the first time but that is my luck though haha.  Will update the thread with my progress hopefully sometime friday.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:27:13 pm by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
Re: Hughes Plenum Kit + Tuneup
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:18:23 am »
Im thinking I should look at mine now...

Why cheap oil + filter and synthetic? :scratch:
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:37 am »
Because he's gonna run the sea foam through the system once first to get all the crud out before putting the new plate on I'm sure.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:16 am »
Im thinking I should look at mine now...

Why cheap oil + filter and synthetic? :scratch:

I usually run the quaker state synthetic with a Wix filter.  Since I was crunched for time, I went for the napa filters (rebranded wix) because the place I get my filters from closes early on weeknights and didn't line up with my work schedule.  To answer your question, it is my understanding that in the process of pulling the intake, sometimes coolant tends to end up in the lifter valley.  I figure some dirt will get in there too etc.  I figured ill toss in the $10.50  5qt jug and $3 filter to capture anything that I miss, run that for a little bit, and then return back to regular oil changes again.

I did run a 1/2 can of seafoam through the brake booster hose tonight.  It was dark out... so the video didn't capture it that well.  In the video, I'm on my way back up my buddys driveway (after driving down it obviously).  You can see the lingering smoke in the headlights on my way back up.. (although you can't hear my exhaust, wierd....)  anyway this is the best I can do with the seafoam video.  The seafoam did it's job and thats what matters lol.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:50:03 am by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:51:04 am »
Thats a good point!! I knew Id need an oil change but didnt think to do it that way. Maybe ill just switch to synthetic to :D

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:29:00 am »
Got off of work early...  fought with the damn fan clutch for... at least an hour.  Was going to remove the 4 bolts like in the DIY, but I wanted more room so I wanted to remove the fan clutch.  After fighting with a chain strap wrench (with a piece of serpentine belt underneath)...  I fought for over an hour trying to get it setup and finally gave up.  PITA!  Came in side and asked google...  sure enough the "bolt trick" comes ups.  Put in two bolts in the pulley holes, and I used a breaker bar to pry against them.  Also the tool of the month was also discovered tonight.... :)  An adjustable wrench with a pipe on it.  Once I did that, it came off way to easy :/   Musta loosened it up over the hour before ;)   Anyway once that road block was fixed... I tore it down to remove the intake.

TOOL OF THE MONTH

Current progress

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:28:04 pm by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
It's amazing how much room is in there once the barrel is out of the way :D
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:09:32 pm »
Oh my new favorite this is a 7ft steel pipe. Snapped the shock bolt to get that done ;D

Lookin good sir :up:

I hope to be right behind you doing this fix! :)

Offline HillbillyHoss

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 01:55:34 am »
It would be a lot easier to work on our trucks if the engine wasn't set back so damn far Im sure chrysler had some grand reason for designing them that way id like them to put new cap rotor and wires on.

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:20 am »
removed my broken bolt this morning, installed my tuneup stuff (plugs wires cap rotor etc.)  cleaned the intake and engine surfaces.  Still can't believe how bad the cap and rotor was that I put on two years ago for my last tuneup.  But yeah... then began the wait for the overnighted hughes pan that finally showed up around 5:30ish from UPS.  Replacement pan looks great!  Went to bolt her up after pulling my inch lb torque wrench out....   great, the minimum is 120 inch lbs...   Ah, oh well.  I took my 1/4" drive wratchet and choked up on the handle real far and tightened it until I felt comfortable with it.  Tossed the intake on .... damn that thing is heavy lol.  Bolted everything back up.  Tossed the Acc. bracket back up, alt, ac, all wiring etc...  so shes at least 75% there.  Tomorrow i'll finish everything up along with cutting the throttle body gasket.  Figured there is no rush since I have to wait for the RTV to set anyway.
01 1500 4x4

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »
Coming along nicely :up:

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:52:28 am »
Finished her up early this morning.  Filled her up with oil...    Missed the valve cover a little bit lol...  actually a lot.  I wiped most of it off that I could, but this scared me a bit when I went to go start her up this morning.  Backed her out of the garage and saw drips...  only dripped when the engine was running.  I was like... that mofo rear seal better have sealed!  Sprayed the underside with brake clean to rid the oil, took it for a quick spin and back it came!  WTF!  but yeah I re brake cleaned a second time the best I could and there are no drips on the driveway after taking her for a few more spins.   I reached back and felt for the rear gasket and it is in place with no oil residue on that back ledges so I think im good to go.  Like I said I knew I spilled some oil, but I thought I cleaned most of it up.  Turns out I didn't I guess, but am glad it was just oil running down instead of that rear seal.  I do not want to remove my intake again anytime soon  :argh:   Haha.  In all seriousness, it wasn't that bad.  Having an extra set of hands during the entire process would have certainly helped move things along faster.  Also, now that I know how to do it first hand, it wouldn't be a big issue to do it again although I’m not exactly jumping to do it anytime soon   :up:  I do have some notes to use in addition to the DIY for the next person (Rudy  :tt2:)

1. Fan clutch.  I used a big adjustable on the fan clutch nut, and found two bolts that fit into the water pump pulley holes.  I used my pry bar in such a way against the heads of the two bolts to hold the water pump pulley in place.  Grabbed the adjustable and spun the fan clutch loose (lefty loosey).  This alleviates the need to remove the four fan clutch bolts that hold the fan on.  This also gives more space in the engine bay once removed.

2. Fan Shroud Removal.  I opted to disconnect the wiper fluid connectors and hoses, and top radiator hose.  Remove the four bolts that hold the fan shroud to the radiator, and left the coolant overflow and wiper fluid bottles connected to the shroud.  By doing so, you save yourself the hassel of removing them from the shroud (not an easy chore).  Just pull it out as one piece and your good to go.

3. Alternator removal not necessary from the accessory bracket.  Remove the two electrical connectors from the alternator and you are good to go.  Just pulled the accessory bracket with the alternator still attached.  It may be possible to keep the AC compressor attached as well, but for the four additional bolts to pop it off, it isn’t a big deal.  You make your call when you do it.  I removed the AC compressor.

4. When your ready to re-install your intake, get new intake manifold bolts and chop up four of your old ones.  I chopped four of the heads off of four bolts with my sawzall, then took my dremel and cut a slit at the top of the bolt.  I took these four bolts and screwed them into the cyl heads only a few turns to help aid in intake placement.  When the intake lined up with the bolts, she dropped perfectly into place.  Ran the new intake manifold bolts in the remaining holes.  Took my flat head and removed the bolts I made by putting the tip in the slit I cut and backed them out the few turns I put them in and replaced with a new bolt.  I really encourage this method so you don’t fumble the gaskets around when placing the intake down.   I’ll see if I can get pictures of the bolts later on, but it is pretty self explanatory.
01 1500 4x4

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 04:21:25 am »
Tore down, old cap and rotor in pic.

Plenum pan (really wasn't that bad.. :/)

Cleaned up the inside

Overnighted Hughes pan... Much better condition!

Bolted up, ready to rock

Here is the intake manifold bolt mod I was talking about. 

And here are the bolts in action.  Also New cap / rotor / plugs / wires installed

Here is the last pic I took.  Figured it was just the opposite of disassembly so i already had pic's of that.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:23:22 am by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc