270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 03 ram 2500 with 545rfe tranny problems HELP! lol  (Read 9244 times)

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
03 ram 2500 with 545rfe tranny problems HELP! lol
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:19 am »
I have an 03 ram 2500 4x4 with the hemi mated to a 545 rfe. it never started doing this until i had the tranny flushed and installed bigger tires. sometimes it wont go into first even manually from a stop and it will short shift from 2nd to third and wont kick down with it to the floor or upshift into 4th and 5th. itll just stay in third. its got a check engine light on and pullin tranny codes for improper shift into fourth. it doesnt do this all the time but it seems like it does it after ive drove it above 55mph for 15 minutes. jo " lilfrogger" said it could possibly be a ground cause they dont like not being grounded properly. i took it to a tranny shop and all the guy did was hook it up on a modus computer and read the codes then told me i had some serious damage inside the tranny andi had alot of stuff broken and couldnt give me a estimate until it was torn apart. i called up performance automotive and tranny and talked to them and they said if it had stuff broke in it it would do it all the time and not just here and there and that the clutches where prolly just worn out and it needed and overhaul. when they serviced the tranny " fluid flush and filters changed they said it had some metal shavings in it but just what would be normal from the clutches wearing out and nothing that would indicate anything being brokein like gears or shafts. i was wondering if any of you had any input on this. like i said it never did this until it was serviced and i put on the bigger tires. thanks

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: 03 ram 2500 with 545rfe tranny problems HELP! lol
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »
Well, it could be that the flush loosened up anything that was lurking in the trans and plugged stuff up.

How many miles were on the trans when you had it serviced and had it ever been serviced before.

If there were METAL shavings, that's not normal. Normal is the sludge that in the magnet that is soft and gooey.

If it had disernable metal shavings, that's not normal at all.

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:34 pm »
They didn't even really flush it out, they just changed the filters and filled it back up. I didn't see the metal when they drained it but some of the fluid that was still in the pan had a little bit of a gritty feel. It doesn't make sense tho why it doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes it won't do it for a whole day and then out of the ble it'll do it but if you shut it off and go in a store just to get a pop it quits doin it and might start back ten minutes later or might not.

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
Not that i really know anything, but I think the grounds would be the first place I start. 

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:31:07 am »
that code, and shavings, are not good. id agree with the tear down.

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline Jr. Mechanic

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:34:31 am »
Start with the cheap stuff.  It could very well be the governor pressure sensor.  Starting in 3rd, or "limp mode" is a good indication of that.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:35:43 am »
governor pressure sensor. 

thats where the metals comin from?

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:58:12 am »
It doesn't start in third, it starts in second and then shifts at like 2500 to third and won't. Shift to 4th or 5th no matter what and it won't manually downshift into 1st either but you and shut it off and turn it right back on and its fine. I disconnected the battery and its not acting up nearly as much but it did downshift into third the other day from fifth when I was passing someone on the interstate and held it till I let out of it lol. It also shifts like its got a shift kit in it and always has shifted harder than any others I've been in. I'm tryin to buy a master rebuild kit for it that's supposidly got extra clutches for more holding power but the guy says I need to buy power packs as well to make it have the extra holding power. I don't know jacks*** so I feel like he's tryin to screw me over like everyone else at a shop has.

Offline Pappa Gluth

• Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorAF
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:27:32 am »
Have you checked all the electrical connections.  I remember reading that the tranny will act eratically if any of the connectors are loose or disconected.  If your going to put some $$$ into it I'd call the guys at Sharadon performance http://www.sharadon.com/ they know their stuff.  If i have the exta cash when I get back I'm going with there stage three trans.
2005 1500 5.7 Auto Reg Cab Shorty,
McGaughys 2in drop spindles, Flip Kit w 5in Notch
Volant CAI, AEM TB Spacer, Magnaflow Exhaust, 
Superchips 3865 91 octane with trans tuning

2007 Caliber SE

Offline Jr. Mechanic

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:18 am »
governor pressure sensor. 

thats where the metals comin from?

What metal?  He said the shavings were what would be considered normal.  Starting in 2nd and a short shift to 3rd indicates it's probably electrical, and he said disconnecting the battery affected it's occurrence. 

From the information in this thread I really don't feel there's anything catastrophic wrong with that transmission. 

Offline speedram03

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:20 am »
havent been on here in awhile but the tranny shop i took it to said its got some serious problems lol. i lost third in it a week ago, still shifts into third just slips so bad it just revs to the moon. thats all fine tho, the tranny isnt rated for the hp the motors at now and i still have the potential for 75 to 100 more hp. its gonna get rebuilt with all new stuff in a few more weeks, new triple disc stall converter set for the cam and valvetrain upgrades, bigger clutch packs, upgraded servo, new planitaries, shift kit, line pressure booster, pretty much everything in it upgraded. it should hold 650hp afterwards, shift 100 times better than it did new and have way better control. its slipped on the top end since i put the motor in especially whenever you get in the higher rpm range since the motor makes the most power there. also gonna be using a tranny fluid designed to make the new goodies work the best and run some synthetic in the t case. afterwards ima throw the tune on it and hopefully not rip rearend out.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 02:11:05 am »
Yep, sounds like ya' smoked it. Get some pics of the damage if ya' can. Would like to know what went bad.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc