270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: new to diesel world  (Read 918 times)

Offline cbriggs9

• Awards:
new to diesel world
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:06 pm »
I just bought a 05 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Laramie.  I cant go crazy with it but would like to put an exhaust, programmer and a leveling kit.  My questions are which should I go with 4 ro 5 inch exhaust, any suggestions on a programmer, I have a couple in mind, and tire size.  I would like to run some where around a 265 or 285.  The front wont be an issue its the rear tires. I dont know how wide of a tire I can run.  I would like to go with either a a/t or m/t tire.  Im not a huge fan of all season tires.  I would very much appreciate any help anyone would like to give. 

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
Re: new to diesel world
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »
Hey Welcome to the forum buddy.. sounds like another great truck with some healthy plans. You will get a wide range of opinions on programmer to use. I guess to me it all depends on what you really want to use it for.

As for exhaust I don't know if you really be making enough power to need a 5" exhaust, but if you plan on hauling really heavy, it could help to reduce heat by some degree. There is not a lot of us that are running 5" yet.. most of us are on our stock size..

Tires.. I am gonna have to let you wait until another member with a fat bottom truck chimes in, they would be your best resource.

Make sure you drop a line in the welcome section up top!

:welcome:
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
:jowel:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »
Welcome Chris!

:welcome:

You have no need for a 5" exhaust until you start pushing 500+ HP or you run a turbo bigger than a 64mm. It doesn't do you any good and actually hurts your low end torque a bit.

Without spacers, I want to say you're limited to 245's on the back. 265's will fit without a load, but I believe you'll run if you don't use some wheel spacers.

As for the programmer, what do you intend to use the truck for? What does it get used for everyday? And the big question......Do you want to have to do any transmission work in the near future?

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc