270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Recipe Swap  (Read 20631 times)

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Re: Recipe Swap
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 04:09:31 am »
Another thought for cheese recipes like this. When my Mom used to make mac and cheese she would get the ends of a bunch of different cheeses from the deli counter in one package and use that. It makes GREAT mac and cheese. Try it out. :up:
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:55 am »
I agree - sautee the onions in the butter before adding the milk and cheese

I'm gonna try this one!  :up:

I didn't realize I didn't have enough shredded cheese so I had to use some slices. Next time I am going to add more cheese because I like things cheesy as opposed to creamy. I also added some chili powder to the meat but I'll probably add some to the cheese mixture instead next time. OR- maybe some chopped chilies... Just some "food for thought"!

Add a can of spicy Rotel.
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:02 am »
I have been wanting to create a pot of chili for some time now but have no direction. I usually just go onto recipe sites and go with what gets the most reviews but i figured i might try something different this time and ask you guys. I have a recipe that i may consider doing, but after reading the reviews it looks like it may be a tab bit spicy. Im not a big fan of spicy things, so i figured i would either cut out some of the extra spice's or just try it out exactly how its written and see what happens.

This is the one i found: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boilermaker-Tailgate-Chili/Detail.aspx

I like the looks of this one because it looks like it has a bunch of flavors going on compared to the other recipes that only have a handful of ingredients.

Anyone have a good chili recipe that they wanna share?

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 02:35:27 am »
I have been wanting to create a pot of chili for some time now but have no direction. I usually just go onto recipe sites and go with what gets the most reviews but i figured i might try something different this time and ask you guys. I have a recipe that i may consider doing, but after reading the reviews it looks like it may be a tab bit spicy. Im not a big fan of spicy things, so i figured i would either cut out some of the extra spice's or just try it out exactly how its written and see what happens.

This is the one i found: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boilermaker-Tailgate-Chili/Detail.aspx

I like the looks of this one because it looks like it has a bunch of flavors going on compared to the other recipes that only have a handful of ingredients.

Anyone have a good chili recipe that they wanna share?

I wish I could give you my recipe, but I make it up as a go... I start with the chili seasoning packet as a base and go from there. I toss in canned tomatoes with green chilies, a can or two of chopped green chilies, garlic, handful of chopped onions, and hot sauce to taste. My chili always rocks...

As for the recipe: That is a LOT of stuff. Chili is supposed to be simple. It was the poor man's food. That is WAY too much stuff for my taste.
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 02:49:31 am »
3# of Hamburg
2 cans (+/-) Stewed Tomatoes 
I use 1 jar of Chile Sauce
1 small can of Tomato Past
Chop up some Sliced Jalapeno Peppers (To Taste)
I put some Red Pepper in it (To Taste)
Hot Sauce and Chile Power
Chile Beans (If You Want)

I Like my Chile Thicker than some and this makes it a little Sweet to Taste
But use Any Recipe and Make it your Own

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:06 am »
That's a interesting take on that recipe with that many ingredients! After reading your post, i can see it through your eyes.

Maybe i see it the way i do because of the way i have always saw chili made my by mom. She always went to a Coney Island Restaurant (there's a good chance no one will know what this restaurant is) and purchased a big block of frozen chili and then just heated it up along with beans and ground beef. Its pretty much the same thing that you see on a coney dog (same thing as a chili dog). It never really seemed like chili to me after eating other chili's that took all day to cook along with a bunch of ingredients.

Maybe im going about it the wrong way, but i guess there is only one way to find out?!

As far as your recipe... I figured it would be like that. People always seem to just throw things in as they go and come up with something good. Me, on the other hand, has no idea about what goes with what and how things should be put together so im forced to follow recipes.

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:24 am »
My dad always keeps his chili super basic and it is ALWAYS the best damn chili I have ever had. He won't give me the recipe though.... But, it's super basic. He adds different things to change up the heat index. Try out the recipe if it intrigues you, though! I don't want you to be all wary because of my two cents... And, since you don't like spicy food, lower the spicy ingredient amounts and add to it. Remember- it will heat up the longer it cooks and sits. TRUST me! I damn near blew my sinuses out one time because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing...

**A cute, small midget

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:43 am »
3# of Hamburg
2 cans (+/-) Stewed Tomatoes 
I use 1 jar of Chile Sauce
1 small can of Tomato Past
Chop up some Sliced Jalapeno Peppers (To Taste)
I put some Red Pepper in it (To Taste)
Hot Sauce and Chile Power
Chile Beans (If You Want)

I Like my Chile Thicker than some and this makes it a little Sweet to Taste
But use Any Recipe and Make it your Own

That sounds good, I don't like a lot of beans in chili, best chili i've had was venison chili with no beans, and it was a green chili. Very spicy, but oh so good.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:41 am »
My dad always keeps his chili super basic and it is ALWAYS the best damn chili I have ever had. He won't give me the recipe though.... But, it's super basic. He adds different things to change up the heat index. Try out the recipe if it intrigues you, though! I don't want you to be all wary because of my two cents... And, since you don't like spicy food, lower the spicy ingredient amounts and add to it. Remember- it will heat up the longer it cooks and sits. TRUST me! I damn near blew my sinuses out one time because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing...

I would'a never known that! Makes sense though. Thanks for the heads up!  :up:

As far as your dad not giving the recipe? Isn't a recipe something you would want to pass down to your daughter?

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 05:02:26 am »
Nick also remember that it Gets better every day you warm it :up:
Some people like there's soupy where I like mine Thicker, Don't be afraid to "Add to or Take Away"  any Ingredients you want with Chile :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:39 am »
Yeah... i have been getting the impression that there is no perfect science to make chili, or a lot of other foods for that matter.

I tell ya... having the winter off with a brand spankin new kitchen is pretty cool. I have always been a outdoor grill guy and will probably always be, but this indoor cooking stuff aint as bad as i thought it would be.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:46 am »
Yeah... i have been getting the impression that there is no perfect science to make chili, or a lot of other foods for that matter.

I tell ya... having the winter off with a brand spankin new kitchen is pretty cool. I have always been a outdoor grill guy and will probably always be, but this indoor cooking stuff aint as bad as i thought it would be.

If you haven't already- Invest in a slow cooker. I used to think all you could make in them was stew (which I hate almost as much as I hate going to the doctor) but I have learned that there is a TON of stuff you can make in one. I made a pulled BBQ beef in mine that was AMAZING! I've also slow cooked a huge roast with wine and garlic and potatoes... You can make chicken dishes, soups, chowders, and even chili ;)

**A cute, small midget

Offline Cujo

• Lead Moderator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Just One Big Freakin' Ray of Sunshine...
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »

If you haven't already- Invest in a slow cooker. I used to think all you could make in them was stew (which I hate almost as much as I hate going to the doctor) but I have learned that there is a TON of stuff you can make in one. I made a pulled BBQ beef in mine that was AMAZING! I've also slow cooked a huge roast with wine and garlic and potatoes... You can make chicken dishes, soups, chowders, and even chili ;)

Hell yes, slow cookers are awesome. Sue will toss a roast, turkey breast, chicken in there with some veggies and potatoes, and let it cook all day. Nothing left by the time we are done dinner.  :up:
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab SWB
5.9L I6 Cummins Diesel/4 speed auto, Big Horn Edition
Westin Oval tubes, MBRP exhaust, AFE CAI, DiPricol Gauges,
Smarty, Line-x, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »
I have been thinking about buying a slow cooker but im not sure how often ill use it. Remember, im home most of the day this time of year and if i had to be home while it was cooking, they would be nothing left by time dinner was ready. The smell would be haunting me.

On another note: My mom just just called me over for a dinner a few days and she slow cooked ribs in a slow cooker. One word to explain them- DAAYYMMNN!!  ;D

Ill have on eventually, once i find some room in my cupboards. When i designed my kitchen, i did not think for a second that i would need extra storage space. Little did i know...

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:36 am »
I have a small one that you are more than welcome to have. It's old, so it isn't anything fancy, but it works really well. The thing I demanded in regard to a house was that it has a huge kitchen with lots of space. I have just about every appliance on my counters and STILL have room to make an intricate meal.

OH- And just because you are home during the winter doesn't mean you can't use the slow cooker in the summer! ;)

**A cute, small midget

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc