270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 98 ram 5.2 stock  (Read 3784 times)

Offline codymartin28

• Awards:
98 ram 5.2 stock
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:31:43 am »
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4X4 with a 5.2L 318 all stock.  I just put a spectre cold air intake on it and noticed nothing.  What would be a good bolt on that is cheap and very effective performanc wise. Throttle body spacer?

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
Re: 98 ram 5.2 stock
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:47 am »
First off cheap and effective performance do not go together that well.  A TB spacer is a waist of money it will do nothing on a direct port fuel injected motor. 

No a good tuner is your best bet to start.
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline codymartin28

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:58 am »
So you think i should try like a superchip flashpaq? I also straight piped it

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:19 am »
So you think i should try like a superchip flashpaq? I also straight piped it

Did you remove the o2 sensors before the cat?  If you did it will not run right.  I have not run a programmer but it is a good place to start. 

Offline codymartin28

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:13:39 am »
No the cat is still on it and the o2 sensors are too.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:29:36 am »
How the plenum? Burning any oil?

If that's leaking you'll have all sorts of laggy / sluggy.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Pappa Gluth

• Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorAF
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
A cold air intake and free flowing exhaust is a good start.  The superchips flashpaq is a good programmer for the 5.2.  Also look into a ported throttle body.  Check outhttp://www.thefastman.com/ .  He does good work for a great price.  You could also look into porting your intake manifold or upgrading alltogether.  http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php has a bunch of go fast goodies for the magnum engines.  Welcome to the forum.
2005 1500 5.7 Auto Reg Cab Shorty,
McGaughys 2in drop spindles, Flip Kit w 5in Notch
Volant CAI, AEM TB Spacer, Magnaflow Exhaust, 
Superchips 3865 91 octane with trans tuning

2007 Caliber SE

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:02:27 pm »
A cold air intake and free flowing exhaust is a good start.  The superchips flashpaq is a good programmer for the 5.2.  Also look into a ported throttle body.  Check outhttp://www.thefastman.com/ .  He does good work for a great price.  You could also look into porting your intake manifold or upgrading alltogether.  http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php has a bunch of go fast goodies for the magnum engines.  Welcome to the forum.

imho OP, your best bet is to fix the plenum if it is leaking and save your money.  I've personally done the mod's listed by "papa gluth" and I can't say they really do too much of anything.  If you want performance, start with your engine internals (cam, iron ram heads).  On stock heads, the suggested manifold porting won't be worth anything.  The heads are a restriction.  Cutting the runners (another mod) may raise hp, but you lose torque.  There was a dyno sheet comparison that i've seen before.  But yeah, putting a larger throttle body claims to give better throttle response...  it does give a little difference, but certainly isn't worth the money imho.  the fastman does great work, I've personally owned one of his throttle bodys but sold it.  When it comes to tuners I have a super chips mainly for the torque converter lockup speed change.  It is hard to tell on the butt dyno whether the turner actually makes a difference on a daily driver.  When it comes to exhaust... do what sounds good to you.  You'll get more sound with a high flow cat... but you'll also run the risk of setting a CEL.  I also went the extra step and installed headers.  again.. not too much of a difference expecially for.  My truck isn't a dog, but after all of the mods listed above and the money spent, you would be a lot better off putting your money in the right spot the first time.  Motor work, gears, and SCT custom tuner.
01 1500 4x4

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Started the 10,000th Topic!!!
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »
When it comes to exhaust... do what sounds good to you.  You'll get more sound with a high flow cat... but you'll also run the risk of setting a CEL.
Or you could cut the cat off chop up your down pipes and make a custom true dual system like I did.  Sounds loud but put 2 mufflers on it and it would have a great sound but if you want pipes out the back a lil bit different.  Mine a 45's out in front of the rear wheels lol
1996 Dogde Ram 1500 club cab
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
air raid cold air intanke
E-3 spark plugs
Built Auto trans with a 1680 stall and lockup converter

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:11:36 pm »
Do not run that motor without a cat, it will not run right with out it ant the o2 censers

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Started the 10,000th Topic!!!
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:50 am »
Do not run that motor without a cat, it will not run right with out it ant the o2 censers

I took the o2 bungs off my old exhaust and put them on my new system and it runs fine.
1996 Dogde Ram 1500 club cab
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
air raid cold air intanke
E-3 spark plugs
Built Auto trans with a 1680 stall and lockup converter

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc