270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: How about a trike?  (Read 4961 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
How about a trike?
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:17 am »
I've been Cruising the net lately, trying to get ideas, catalogs, prices, etc. for my softail. Planning to dig in to it this winter if all goes well. While on the website for Exile cycles (I've always loved his bikes--simple but elegant) I came across some pics of the new trike they have for sale. This thing is sweet! If I had 60k I'd have one.  :tt1:

http://www.exilecycles.com/

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
Re: How about a trike?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:16 am »
not a bad designed trike
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:41:32 am »
Rediculous for 60K
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »
Actually the money these "custom bike builders" get for there rides is stupid expensive, but one off, and custom machining is not cheap. Then again 60k is better than the 150k or so Orange County Choppers get for a theme bike.  :suicide:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:30 pm »
Mr. Mitchell does some amazing work!  Unlike so many other "custom bike builders" you can look at his work and see the art yet still feel the love of the machinery. 

The fact he's got that blonde bad boy Brit thing going for him doesn't hurt any either ;) :drool:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:11 pm »
Rediculous for 60K

Gotta keep in mind the cost of custom fabrication and making one off pieces that are show quality AND functional.

To put that cost into persepctive, look at the hours that went into my motor build (approx 330 hours).

Now, if it was just flat labor (which we charge $55/hr for), that would come out to $18,150 in just strait labor.

Now, add in the cost of electrical work (which is $75/hr), plus fabrication and welding (which is $95/hr) and the cost came up to over $24K in labor for what we did to the truck.....and that was already a working platform that was just being modified.

Add in the parts, the supplies, the fluids, the materials, etc.......$60K is pretty reasonable.

Add in the fact that you have a bike from one of THE top builders in the WORLD and it's even more reasonable.

Also, consider the fact that a run of the mill, production dresser bike can approach $30K and it's still just another Harley.

:up:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »
The hours he put into fabbing and machining the rear axle had to be unreal! We fab things at the shop all the time, and yes the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. item is done quick and cheaper, but that first one is usually the one that takes up the time and money.

Exile cycles put out about 20 custom bikes a year, which I'm assuming is about the norm for most custom builders. When you figure the overhead and business costs, most of there profit come from the off the shelf parts that they sell to the public (that originally where custom fabbed on a bike at one time). The custom bikes bring in the notoriety, and the brake calipers, hand grips, brackets, etc that are sold everyday brings in the profits. 

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
Rediculous for 60K

Gotta keep in mind the cost of custom fabrication and making one off pieces that are show quality AND functional.

To put that cost into persepctive, look at the hours that went into my motor build (approx 330 hours).

Now, if it was just flat labor (which we charge $55/hr for), that would come out to $18,150 in just strait labor.

Now, add in the cost of electrical work (which is $75/hr), plus fabrication and welding (which is $95/hr) and the cost came up to over $24K in labor for what we did to the truck.....and that was already a working platform that was just being modified.

Add in the parts, the supplies, the fluids, the materials, etc.......$60K is pretty reasonable.

Add in the fact that you have a bike from one of THE top builders in the WORLD and it's even more reasonable.

Also, consider the fact that a run of the mill, production dresser bike can approach $30K and it's still just another Harley.

Judging from the pictures on the site, it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of custom fabrication done at all. I checked out other bike on the page, and the same.

For instance, the Black Bull. It is $50,000, $30,000 for the kit. Meaning, its all ready to go, you just need to paint the parts and put it together. 1, there isn't $20,000 in paint and labor to put a bike together. Maybe 10 hours to put it together, so call that $100 a hour in labor, that's $1000 bucks. At most $2,000 in a nice professional paint job, even that is pushing it hard for a bike with just a frame, and tank, and fenders for paint.

The bike. Rigid frame, or softail frame. They are using Harley frames, so they aren't even fabbing them. The tank, custom fabbed, as well as the oil tank. $4,000 combined. There is a lot of time put into tanks. Fenders are cheap.

I can go on and on. But there isn't $50,000 wrapped up in the bike. Now if you want to add tools cost and fabrication machinery. Then yeah, they have to justify they price of their equipment.

It can be done with hand tools in a garage for $20,000. I have seen it done, a pilot of mine built a kit bike, that looks by far more wicked than anything STREET-ABLE that I have seen come out of any of those elaborate custom bike shops. When I say street-able, I mean a bike somebody would actually ride, rather than a themed bike.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:35:51 pm »
This is more like it. It isn't custom, but desirable.
http://www.whistlestopchoppers.com/48_Panhead.html

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:39:36 pm »
I have a feeling that kit for $30k does not come with a motor. Add that to your expense.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »
Turn key kit, custom chopper, softtail frame. $15,000

http://www.whistlestopchoppers.com/silver_horse.html

Basically, you are paying for a bike with a big name on it. People who want to show off they have a ton of money to spend on an extreme built bike.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »
I have a feeling that kit for $30k does not come with a motor. Add that to your expense.
Complete Bike Kit. Complete with 121" Total Performance Engine

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
Hmmm, I see it now. Couldn't find the specs the first time.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:06 pm »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:51:14 pm by Az2500Cummins »

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 03:08:28 am »
Rediculous for 60K

Judging from the pictures on the site, it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of custom fabrication done at all. I checked out other bike on the page, and the same.

For instance, the Black Bull. It is $50,000, $30,000 for the kit. Meaning, its all ready to go, you just need to paint the parts and put it together. 1, there isn't $20,000 in paint and labor to put a bike together. Maybe 10 hours to put it together, so call that $100 a hour in labor, that's $1000 bucks. At most $2,000 in a nice professional paint job, even that is pushing it hard for a bike with just a frame, and tank, and fenders for paint.

The bike. Rigid frame, or softail frame. They are using Harley frames, so they aren't even fabbing them. The tank, custom fabbed, as well as the oil tank. $4,000 combined. There is a lot of time put into tanks. Fenders are cheap.

I can go on and on. But there isn't $50,000 wrapped up in the bike. Now if you want to add tools cost and fabrication machinery. Then yeah, they have to justify they price of their equipment.

It can be done with hand tools in a garage for $20,000. I have seen it done, a pilot of mine built a kit bike, that looks by far more wicked than anything STREET-ABLE that I have seen come out of any of those elaborate custom bike shops. When I say street-able, I mean a bike somebody would actually ride, rather than a themed bike.

sorry man but it is more then 10 hours to assemble and wire a bike.  I would also be willing to bet that you are looking at 4k for paint from the shop he uses.  I would say he has a 10k mark up on it.
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc