270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2nd Generation Dodge Ram Headlamp Relay  (Read 2031 times)

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
2nd Generation Dodge Ram Headlamp Relay
« on: August 14, 2008, 04:58:56 am »
This is my first attempt at a write up. Please let me know what you guys think, and tell me any corrections you think should be made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Relay Write-up
for 2nd Generation Dodge Rams
w/o Sport Package
Version 1.0

Disclaimer: By following this write-up, you assume all responsibilities for any consequences (negative or positive) that may come from it.

Materials Needed:
·Two 30A automotive relays
·Two single automotive fuse holders
·Two new 9004 type headlight harnesses (9007 headlight harnesses will also work, same unit)
·14 gauge wire and 16 gauge wire (I wouldn’t go any smaller than that)
·Wire cutter
·Wire stripper
·Soldering gun and solder wire (not absolutely necessary, but would give you better connections)
·Electrical tape

Important Terms:
·“Attach” – When I use this word, I mean to twist together, solder, crimp, or use whatever means you deem fit to attach wires together. ALWAYS use electrical tape over top of whatever connection you make.

Directions:
1) First, find a good place to mount the relays inside the engine bay. I chose to do it right next to the driver’s side headlamp, close to the battery.
2) Look at the bottom of the relay. You should have four or five terminals, numbered 30, 85, 86, and 87. You may also have an 87A, which is just another 87 connection. I chose to use Directed Electronics, Inc.’s 8626 relay assembly, which already had the wires attached to a plug that snaps onto the relay, and a fuse already attached to terminal #30. However, for the purpose of this write-up, I will pretend that my relays did not have wires attached already.
3) Let’s start with the low beam relay. Take one of the relays, and position it in the general area where you will be bolting it up, but do not bolt it yet unless you already have wires coming from the terminals.
4) Take the driver’s side headlamp bulb and harness out of the headlight assembly. Remove the bulb (don’t touch the glass with bare fingers) and cut the center wire. That is the low beam wire.
5) Run a length of 16 gauge wire (however much you require) from the harness to the relay (I labeled this wire “Red”). Attach the center harness wire (should be purple with a white stripe for 2001 model year) to relay post #86 using that wire. This is the relay activation wire.
6) Take one of the new headlight harnesses, and attach the center wire to relay terminal #87 using whatever length of 14 gauge wire you require. (I labeled this wire “Brown”.)
7) Take the wire on the left side of the new harness (should be black in color), and using whatever length of 14 gauge wire you require, ground it to a good point on the vehicle’s frame.
8 ) On the old harness, cut the left wire (should be red in color for 2001 model year). Run whatever length of 16 gauge wire you require, and attach that left wire to relay terminal #85 (I labeled this wire “Black”). This, obviously, is the relay’s ground wire.
9) Attach a length of 14 gauge wire (I labeled this wire “Yellow”) from the battery positive terminal to a fuse holder, but do not put a fuse in it yet. Attach the other end of the fuse holder, still using 14 gauge wire, to relay terminal #30.
10) Run a length of 14 gauge wire from either terminal #87A, if you have one, or instead attach it to relay terminal #87 (there should be two wires total coming from terminal #87 if you do this), over to the passenger side headlamp.
11) Withdraw the headlamp bulb/harness assembly from the headlamp housing. Remove the bulb. Zip tie this old harness out of the way, hidden if you can, it will no longer be used.
12) Take a new harness, and attach its center wire to the #87/#87A wire you just ran.
13) Ground the new harness’s left wire (should be black in color) to a good point on the vehicle’s frame using 14 gauge wire.
14) Put the bulbs into the new headlamp harnesses, and insert them into the housings.
15) Insert a fuse into the fuse holder. My relays came with 10A fuses, but Dodge uses 15A for each headlamp in the stock wiring, and that’s what I decided to use instead. I wouldn’t go any higher than 20A.
16) If you haven’t done so already, bolt the relay to its final resting place.
17) Repeat this procedure with a second relay for high beams, with a few important changes:
i) Instead of attaching the old harness center wire to #86 (steps 4 and 5), use the right wire (should be a solid purple in color for 2001 model year). That’s the high beam wire.
ii) Instead of attaching the new harnesses’ center wire to relay terminals #87/#87A, attach their right wires. It’s the only unattached wire left on the new harnesses.
iii) Ignore steps 7 and 13. Note: In step 8, you will connect both relays’ black ground wires (terminal #85) to that same red wire.
18) Test time. Turn the headlight switch to “on”. You may hear the relay make a “click” type noise, this is normal, and the headlights should now be on. Check both low beams and high beams. If not, recheck your wiring and your connections. At the end of this write-up, I’ve included a summary wiring diagram to help with troubleshooting.

Any questions or comments, or if you want a copy of this write-up in Microsoft Word (or some other) format, email them to [email protected].

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:01:46 am by jason.w »
-Jason Westerberg

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
Volant Cold Air Intake Kit
52mm Fastman Throttle Body
3" Custom Exhaust System
Magnaflow High-Flow Catalytic Converter
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators