270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Pics of some loads...  (Read 29488 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Re: Pics of some loads...
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 02:13:42 am »
I live bout an hour east of Sac on Hwy 88 and have made a couple trips down to the LA area before, and either way its not that fun of a drive, but 99 makes it a little better. From southern Ca, if you get a load thats headed for like the Reno, or Tahoe area, i suggest taking Hwy 395 out of LA and following it all the way there, and it's probably the quickest route, it's an amazing and scenic drive thats a favorite of mine.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 02:20:01 am »
I live bout an hour east of Sac on Hwy 88 and have made a couple trips down to the LA area before, and either way its not that fun of a drive, but 99 makes it a little better. From southern Ca, if you get a load thats headed for like the Reno, or Tahoe area, i suggest taking Hwy 395 out of LA and following it all the way there, and it's probably the quickest route, it's an amazing and scenic drive thats a favorite of mine.

Right on, I'll keep that in mind. Is 395 the one that runs up by the China Lake area?

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:20 am »
Hot-Shotting seems like it could be a pretty cool gig to get into...

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 02:27:32 am »

It's a lot of fun (most of the time). Sometimes it feels like you're on vacation all the time. It's pretty cool to be in a different city almost every night. We've been a lot of places we would have never been and met some pretty interesting characters  ;). It's definitely a lot of work and can get pretty stressful at times, especially driving in the LA area  :censored:

But we still love it so far and have no regrets making the leap. It would be really hard to go back to a 9-5 job with a boss again  ;D2

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 02:28:27 am »
China Lake area is about a half hour east of 395 on Hwy 178.   :up: Once you're past there, you drive past Bishop, Mammoth Lake area, and you are on the backside of Yosemite National Forest. Then Drive past Mono Lake which is a very cool place and i suggest visiting.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 02:29:28 am »
I always thought about driving a truck for a while after I got out of the Army, just to see some more of the country, but maybe I'll start looking into this in a few years...

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 02:32:44 am »
If you do let me know. I can direct you to a forum that has everything you need to know about the business. The guy who runs the forum is a pretty cool guy and is very helpful. He was our dispatcher for our first 4 months, couldn't have done it without him!

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 02:34:47 am »
If you do let me know. I can direct you to a forum that has everything you need to know about the business. The guy who runs the forum is a pretty cool guy and is very helpful. He was our dispatcher for our first 4 months, couldn't have done it without him!

If I did, it would be a while from now...I have 9 years to go before I retire from the Army...

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 02:43:49 am »

If I did, it would be a while from now...I have 9 years to go before I retire from the Army...
What happened to "I'm not doing this to go to 20, if I get tired of it at 18, I'll get out?"
I was thinking the same thing. I always look forward to the time's I get to spend inside my truck. I would love to get into hot shotting. That would be a fun gig, especially if I could land a gig to and from Alaska in the summer. 7,000 miles round trip, I would really enjoy that.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 02:50:32 am »
I was thinking the same thing. I always look forward to the time's I get to spend inside my truck. I would love to get into hot shotting. That would be a fun gig, especially if I could land a gig to and from Alaska in the summer. 7,000 miles round trip, I would really enjoy that.
[/quote]

You'll need a bigger truck though, and going commercially through Canada is a new can of worms to get into. We've thought about it, but haven't really looked into that much yet.

:cheers:

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 02:51:35 am »

You'll need a bigger truck though, and going commercially through Canada is a new can of worms to get into. We've thought about it, but haven't really looked into that much yet.

[/quote]Yeah I know. If I were to get into it, I would look into an 08 4-5500 C&C. Mine is paid off. I am sure I could grab one up fairly cheap here in AZ. Since the Economy is garbage here, everything around here is investor friendly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:53:22 am by Az2500Cummins »

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 02:56:15 am »
Good to know  :up: I really want a 5500!! I'll look there when we're ready to step up.

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 02:58:20 am »

What happened to "I'm not doing this to go to 20, if I get tired of it at 18, I'll get out?"

I didn't join the Army intending to retire, but I'm halfway now so that is kinda the plan, although if I got tired with it before then I'd get out...Either way, I'll be at 16 years by the time it becomes an option....

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2010, 03:20:40 am »

I didn't join the Army intending to retire, but I'm halfway now so that is kinda the plan, although if I got tired with it before then I'd get out...Either way, I'll be at 16 years by the time it becomes an option....
Yeah I hear ya. Like I said before you re-upped when I tried to talk you out of it, you may as well go all the way. Get that little pay check every month and the health for life.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:06 pm »
This is an awesome thread ya got here, ERT! A lot of cool pictures! Glad to see this venture worked out for you thus far and hope it keeps on keep'n on!

How do you normally find your loads?

We hired a dispatcher for our first 4 months. Now we're doing it on our own. We use "load boards", websites where brokers post the loads that they have. You call them and try to work out the best rate you can get.

When i was expediting, we used to always call up on loads from getloaded.com. We came close to getting maybe 1 out of every 10 loads we called but even then we were still moving for less than our company was paying per mile. I never found it to be worth it for us but was always curious if it was a site better suited for bigger haulers like you and the tractor/trailer guys. Have you ever scored a load from that site? If so, how does it amount compared to my experiences?

Yeah, i remember when i made the mistake one time to accept a Canada load. The line to get past customs was about 15 cars long in the normal line and the line for commercial was 50 trucks long and a lot of trucks took longer because of inspections and what not. I decided to never again take a Canada load. Especially what my company was paying me for to do it.  :death:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc