270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Hey BC  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
Hey BC
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:00:58 am »
Tell me about your trans. Im tryin to round up a parts list so i can buy one and build it up.

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline BC847

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
    Ride of the Year
Re: Hey BC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:35:16 am »
It's the factory original A518 (46RH). . . . . . sorta.  :bs:

Well, . . . .the case is anyway.

I've upgraded the OEM flexplate to an SFI rated unit. (Guess which is which).

I've a custom SunCoast NON lock-up converter . . . .

The front clutch-pack (direct) originally had four clutches and steels. I've increased it to six of each. 50% more apply area.

The rear, I stuck with four of each as I couldn't get one more to fit right. This image shows five but the clutches wouldn't fully engage the associated hub . . .

(incorrect engagement) . .

Increased the clutch/steel count in the overdrive from 5 to 6 . . .

As well as the overdrive/direct clutchpac. There, I upgraded to the 48RE design with 23 single-sided friction elements giving me up to 44% more clutch apply area. . . .

I replaced all the planetary gear-sets with the 6-pinion type that have the steel carriers . . .

Overdrive . .

Rear . . .

And front . . .

Got the oversized spring for the overdrive . .

The 4.2 to 1 ratio front band apply lever . . .

As well as the servos and accumulator with the multiple sealing rings, and the better overdrive apply piston so as to reduce internal leakage . . .

Replaced all the internal roller bearings as well as the shaft bushings and thrust washers.

I took the time to set it up according to the FSM  . . .

Then I beat on the valvebody some .. . .

I recently put 1006ft/lbs to the ground at about 1900rpms and have enjoyed cutting 1.75ish 60's  at 6400lbs lately.

Ummm, . . . .what exactly were you interested in?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:47:41 am by BC847 »
David

Original owner of a VE fueled 1993 Dodge W250 Clubcab. Green. It's your basic farm truck.

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:40:31 am »
WOW thats a Build :up: :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline sanddragonslayer

• SW Region Lead
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • the voices tell me.... BUILD BUILD BUILD
  • Awards:
    300kShadeTreeROTMContributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:10:08 am »
holy stuff dude!
95 12v 4x4 auto K&N drop in. 4 inch turbo back MBRP exhaust, Garmon trans, 4k gsk, 140 injectors, fully modded afc, pump timed, delivery valves, custom ground fuel plate, Phatshaft 62. And a very large list of to do's.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:12 am »
so basically its a 48  :tt2: thats a real nice build. i love those 6 pinion planets! i read your write up on compd last night. any specific website to order these parts from? im fixin to sell my gas burner truck and im gonna build a unit and swap it in.

also, whats the stall on that converter?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:23:36 am by Motorbrreath »

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline BC847

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
    Ride of the Year
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:02:01 am »
so basically its a 48  :tt2: thats a real nice build. i love those 6 pinion planets! i read your write up on compd last night. any specific website to order these parts from? im fixin to sell my gas burner truck and im gonna build a unit and swap it in.
The 48RE case has some notable improvements over the earlier 46RH. I just wanted to be difficult. That and I had the 46RH. :D
I got my mess from these folks (in no particular order):
https://www.wittrans.com/Default.aspx? (odd, used parts)
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html (converter and custom parts)
http://www.transtar1.com/ (new parts)
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm (custom parts)

There are quite a few members who're* well versed with these trans both here and other forums. All of which prove very helpful when mixing and matching the different parts. When all else fails, Ernie with SunCoast is THE man  . . . don't be afraid to call him and listen to his answers. ;)

What write-up at CompD? Most if not all my write-ups are on DTR.

* I said "Who're"   ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:48:52 am by BC847 »
David

Original owner of a VE fueled 1993 Dodge W250 Clubcab. Green. It's your basic farm truck.

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:01:45 am »
The 48 case has some notable improvements over the earlier 46. I just wanted to be difficult. That and I had the 46. :D
I got my mess from these folks (in no particular order):
https://www.wittrans.com/Default.aspx? (odd, used parts)
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html (converter and custom parts)
http://www.transtar1.com/ (new parts)
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm (custom parts)

There are quite a few members who're* well versed with these trans both here and other forums. All of which prove very helpful when mixing and matching the different parts. When all else fails, Ernie with SunCoast is THE man  . . . don't be afraid to call him and listen to his answers. ;)

What write-up at CompD? Most if not all my write-ups are on DTR.

* I said "Who're"
  ;D

You WILL Fit in JUST FINE around Here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FEEL.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 12:23:54 am »
so if i wanted to increase the clutch count, id be wanting to order a 48 kit? as well as the planets?

Appreciate your advice  :up:

1993 W250 12 valve
Chris

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:49 am »
so if i wanted to increase the clutch count, id be wanting to order a 48 kit? as well as the planets?

When you put it back together don't forget that one little Doo Hicky  :whistling:

FEEL.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:10 am »

When you put it back together don't forget that one little Doo Hicky  :whistling:

:banging: still havent lived that one down...

1993 W250 12 valve
Chris

Offline BC847

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
    Ride of the Year
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17:12 am »
I have no clue of any 48 "Kit". There may be one, I really don't know.

I pretty-much looked in the PATC/Dodge stuff, specifically the custom upgrade kits for the different clutchpacs. It became clear, that most of those are a given number of clutch discs and steels. I found that there are two (or more) different thicknesses of the discs and steels. Looking hard at the parts included in those upgrade kits helped me get an idea as to how many of each I might fit in my mess. At the end of the day, I just ordered a handful each of the thin ones and a couple-three of the thicker ones. With that, I could stack up what I could in each hub/drum assembly. Even then I found that my existing reaction-plates could have been a different thickness. There, I dug into the WIT web-sight for USED reaction-plates. Rooting around in there, it becomes clear there are a few different thicknesses available. When it comes to setting the clearances, those I've conferred with agree that 0.010" per disc/steel is adequate.

Make sense?  :-[

As far as the planets, the OD and rear transmission units are surprisingly inexpensive. There, you'll find the spur gears apparently aren't available in the 6 pinion variety (made of Unobtainium). 15* and 22* helical-cut gears are the apparent norm. While the spur gears are desirable for shear strength, the helical are more quiet in operation. -> Go for the 15* gear-sets. Get them as a "Set" for economy where possible. NOTE: You'll have to upgrade to a 47Rx or better intermediate shaft to upgrade that front planet. The splines between the two are different than the 46RH set-up. All of the planet stuff I got from TransStar.

That front 48RE planet will scare you a little. Did me.  :cents:  :banging: 

Be prepared to dink around with the thrust washers and such so as to accommodate the steel carriers of the planetarys though it won't really hurt to stay with the older, narrower design (increase in thrust as compared to the spur gear units). The former aluminum front carrier got along just find rubbing against the steel neighboring components. Switching to a steel carrier there will require a little plastic sleeve to correct metal-to-metal wear issues.

Truthfully, if you're not planning on building a dragster or puller and then beating the ever-loving snot out of it, you might consider settling for the MUCH less expensive 5-pinion planets and running a more common clutch count. For example, that rear clutch-pac I was trying to get more clutches in, there's BIG-dogs out there putting well over 1000HP through the 4-disc unit with no issues. Like they told me; when you slip it, THEN worry about beefing it up. 

You getting all this? . . . . . . .  :P

Be aware, there's at least two "What'cha'ma'call'its" and three or more "Thingys" in the trans case. :D Tuning the valve-body can be a hoot.  :argh:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:51:37 am by BC847 »
David

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 02:24:17 am »
Good lord, I've been hanging around Rich too long. I actually understood that  :faint:
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 02:47:09 am »
After watching Dusty rebuild mine I at least had a idea what he was saying :2cool:

FEEL.

Offline BC847

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
    Ride of the Year
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:59:15 am »
It's a valid argument to consider simply getting a used, rebuildable 47RH in terms of cost when going to the beefier hardware. But then getting the parts for the conversion (not really a big deal) and then dealing with the lock-up converter can negate big cost differences.

- But then somebody suggests a mystery switch for the converter and >POP< goes the input shaft (if you're lucky). $750ish to put that cardboard box on the sales counter.  :banging:

I chose to stick with the NON lock-up converter so as to provide something of a cushion for the shock-loads.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:52:10 am by BC847 »
David

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 07:02:45 pm »
understand totally  :tt2:  i build transmissions at a dealer, if i get stuck i have extra eyes to guide me along.

peformance transmissions sells everything i need, i got all the stuff i want in the cart and waiting to see if this truck sells. Im prolly overbuilding but its better than underbuilding. prolly only gonna increase clutch counts by 2, not gonna go all out with the upgraded drums.

debating between a suncoast or garmon converter. im gonna talk to both parties and see which is better imo.

now i just gotta find a trans. i cant have the current one torn down and be out of a truck for a few days. this way i can build it, and swap it in one day at work.

maybe ill paint the pan too...   :whistling:

im with you on the non lock up. i dont wanna put a p pump or anything that wasnt "1st gen" on this thing. seeing your trans made me and a few others believe you can put power to the ground with a 518

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:19:20 pm by Motorbrreath »

1993 W250 12 valve
Chris

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc