270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Not starting...  (Read 793 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Not starting...
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:16:55 pm »
 :suicide: So i go out to my truck this morning to start it, i turn the key and i get a click from the starter, then everything goes dead, no lights on the gauge or radio, absolutely nothing. I turn the key again and this time it just clicks, and clicks about 10 times before i just walk away. I go back five minutes later, turn the key and get a click, then turn it again, and the truck starts.  :scratch: . Once it starts everything is fine. Only the first time I turned the key did i lose power. After that i had power every time. It's done this to me a couple times in the past month, but hasn't taken as many turns of the key as this time did. This December my battery will be 2yrs old, so i'm gonna replace it soon. Does it sound like thats my only problem is a weak battery? Or is there something going on with the starter too? And does weather have anything to do with it? Last night we dropped below 30* for the first time this year, and there was frost everywhere this morning. Any helps appreciated.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Not starting...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:07 pm »
Sent ya a PM.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »
Check the battery cable clamps? Had my wifes car do something similar and the battery cable was loose on the battery.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »
Sounds like what happened with Jon's truck. He replaced both batteries and something else (a black box thingy... I think it is an ECM or something. Sorry- I'm so not truck part saavy).and now the truck starts up perfectly.
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc