270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Kevlar Tires  (Read 1672 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Kevlar Tires
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:41 am »
Goodyear stopped making their Wrangler MT/R's the old way, now they are made with kevlar and have changed the tread pattern. I have the opportunity to buy 3 brand new ones for very cheap then i'll buy the 4th at regular price. My only question is since the kevlar makes the tire harder, how well does it wear on the road? How many miles can i expect out of them at just normal driving, i don't drive like it's a sports car, i do hit the trails maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but most of my driving is on the road.

This is the offer i can get, i've already talked to the guy and yes it is a real deal, not a scam

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/2131224217.html
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Cutterw

Re: Kevlar Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:04:39 am »
I run the Silentarmor on my company truck, weighing in around 13-14k for a single rear wheel truck they are the longest lasting tire I can find.  They seem to wear pretty good and I can get 30-40k out of a set.  I lose tires to blowouts before I wear them down but I weigh alot over my passenger rear since I have a crane.

Offline 01tireshredder

• Technician
  • Cummins Killer
  • Awards:
    ROTMMile High500HPDonor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:16 am »
I say jump on it. I paid $351 a piece for 315/70/17 3 years ago. 2 are still over 50% with 30 K on them. The other 2 did not wear as well. I wonder why, they were on the back.
'01, QCSB, 5.9 CTD, Too much stuff to remember, now it is broken.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:21:42 am »
The Kevlar is not gonna make the tire harder (it will make it stronger in the belt areas)

Even so, harder tires wear longer

For off roading and the possibility of stones in the sidewall, you'll be better off with stronger belts.   :up:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:28:30 am »
thanks guys, i'm gonna make the drive on sunday and pick them up if he doesn't sell them first. One of my rear tires i can run my hand over it and it's almost like a drag slick  :death: , they're a little bigger than i was looking for and will rub a little, but i'm fine with that.

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:00:48 am »
Called him this morning, says he might be out of town this sunday, so i'll either pick them up this sunday, or next weekend. I priced out these tires, and in this size they cost 275 a piece brand new, and i'm gettin 3 for $300, so i'm pretty excited.

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:45:58 am »
Im jealous, but good find sir :up:

I assume we will get pics  ;D
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:58:02 am »
 :banging:

So i'm in a bit of a bad mood now, we started our 3hr drive up to Reno this morning, on our way up, i was about half an hour from the guys house when he calls me up. He tells me that he went to Home Depot for like 20 mins, and while he was gone, some guy showed up at his house and told his son that he was there to buy the tires, so his son didn't know my name, just that someone was coming to get the tires. His son gave the tires to this other guy who drove off with them  :censored: :censored:. I asked if there was any number that he could call to try and get the guy back and return the tires in the confusion. But the seller said he had no number... :death: , he said he was sorry for the confusion and that was the end. So 6 hours of driving today all for pretty much nothing. stopped for bout an hour to walk around Cabela's, other than that, i spent the whole day walking around angry  :90: , my mini rant is now over.

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:42 am »
That  :censored: :censored: ! sorry man...

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 02:10:32 pm »
Sorry But it sounds a Little Fishy to me :bat:
At least you got to go to Cabelas :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 02:44:21 pm »
That su<ks, but I have to agree, sounds a little iffy.  I'm betting someone offered him more cash.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc