270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: At the Delta  (Read 4997 times)

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
At the Delta
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:04:17 am »
Been hunting a few trips at a deer camp adjacent to Delta National Forest north of Vicksburg Ms. It's somewhat primitive, no electricity, though we have a diesel generator, undrinkable well water and sometimes extreme water conditions.

I've shot a few deer there, nothing to remark about......but there was something new for me.

Freakin Feral Hogs.

The population of them have increased over the past few years, they're as frequent as deer over there. Anyway, I popped a few over the last few hunts...here's a few pics. Them suckers sure are ugly...........but damn.....they taste good!

And yes, we do have decent bucks there....A pic of my buddy and a nice one.

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
Re: At the Delta
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:09:11 am »
Looks awesome man!  Never had wild hog before!  and yeah, they are some ugly MoFos!  (bringing any to ghe G2G?)

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:37:24 am »
Looks awesome man!  Never had wild hog before!  and yeah, they are some ugly MoFos!  (bringing any to ghe G2G?)

That and more........all kinda grillin stuff.

Ya hear that Donny!  :lol:

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:37:54 am »
wooooo!  now I really gotta make sure I get there

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline tnram2500

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    rotmdonorArmy
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
nice looking hog, there Walt. Never took one of them before either, hunted a couple of days here in Big South Fork state park as they have extended the season for them, but all I got was harassed by a pack of coyotes.
04.5 275/70/18 bfg's. chrome mb offroad wheels. isspro boost egt tranny gauges, fogzilla, dynatrac ball joints, uerethane bushings, Banks air intake, bilsteins, MBRP Cool Duals

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »
That settles it.... I'm bringing a bigger grill!

Offline BrianSudokhoi02

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
If that's a  :quote: decent buck  :quote: , I'd sure hate to see a scrawny one  :eek:
07 Ram 2500 Quad Cab
w/Cummins 5.9
Automatic Transmission
Husky rear mats and mud flaps, Nasta stainless nerf bars, Bushwacker bed rail caps, lorado tonneau cover

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:57:15 am »
Walt, the hogs down at Ft. Stewart (Near Savannah GA) get to be twice that size or larger.

I ran up on a sow while driving a M88 Track recovery vehicle, the thing actually charged at me after I stopped to let the baby's go by. Thing had tusks that had to be 8-10 inches long :eek:

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline Bad318dakota

• Oil Changer
  • If it ain't born to bleed it ain't meant to breed.
  • Awards:
    DonorMile High
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »
Man got me wanting some of that rich wild hog meat now, we got some pretty good lookin white tail here in east texas. Got some pretty big wild bore's too.
97' 2500 ext. cab 4x4 LWB, A-Pilliar with Boost, Pyro, and Tranny temp, Ranch hand front, Alum. deep toolbox,  smoked tails, 3:73's, Silencer Ring MIA, S&B CAI, Pusher intake manifold, Airdog 150, Straight piped with 4" Tip, DDP 90hp Inj, Fuel plate, built Georend trans w/billet input and billet triple disk convertor. Got much more to do.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:38:07 am »
Nice, bacon on the hoof.  ;D  Nice looking deer also.  :up:  I do have to mention when I seen the title "At the Delta" the first thing that hit me was...Damn, Walt's hunting Alaska!

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:59 am »
Nice, bacon on the hoof.  ;D  Nice looking deer also.  :up:  I do have to mention when I seen the title "At the Delta" the first thing that hit me was...Damn, Walt's hunting Alaska!

I wish that I was Ken, but not yet.

Not sure why that area's called the Delta...which is north of Vicksburg, MS. The terrain from Vicksburg goes from hilly to dead flat, and runs along the Miss. River.

Walt, the hogs down at Ft. Stewart (Near Savannah GA) get to be twice that size or larger.

I ran up on a sow while driving a M88 Track recovery vehicle, the thing actually charged at me after I stopped to let the baby's go by. Thing had tusks that had to be 8-10 inches long :eek:

Sounds like one bad ass sow there Drew, wouldn't want to find that critter head to head in some thicket.

Christy and I are heading back there tomorrow, maybe we can scrape up one more kill before the end of the season.
Never can have too much fresh meat for the grill! :gunsmilie:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:19 am »
I just watched a show on one of the animal channels (Animal Planet, Discovery, Nat Geo) about those pigs.

In short, it shows that there may be Russian boars being breed with out boars creating a dangerous, over-breeding monster.

If i remember correctly, they were saying that if nothing is done to stop them, they may take over much of our forests.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/pig-bomb-super-pigs.html

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:00 am »

That and more........all kinda grillin stuff.

Ya hear that Donny!  :lol:

Pfft ... I aint scared. I've been known to eat a pig or two

:43:

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »
It's gotten so bad in MS, that the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries have announced that feral hogs are open season, year round, no limit, using any weapon, at any hour of the day or night, using any lights or night vision system and over baited blinds allowed.

Just kill em'!!

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »

It's gotten so bad in MS, that the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries have announced that feral hogs are open season, year round, no limit, using any weapon, at any hour of the day or night, using any lights or night vision system and over baited blinds allowed.

Just kill em'!!

Your gonna need a bigger freezer........   :gunsmilie:    :daddy:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc