270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY 3rd Gen Throttle body cleaning 4.7  (Read 2953 times)

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
DIY 3rd Gen Throttle body cleaning 4.7
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:40:39 pm »
Ok
tools needed
10 or 13mm socket or both cant remember
Flat head screwdriver
Brake cleaner
shop rags

First
1 Disconnect the battery.

2 Take the flat head an loosen the hose clamp on the hose coming from the air box to the plenum and remove the hose, but before you remove the hose depending on year of veh there is a mass air sensor on the hose that needs to be unplugged.

3 Your plenum (its the big black box that says magnum and sits on top of your engine block) should be bolted in on either side (mine only had one screw, gotta love the cheap b@stards at chrysler)

4 There is also a hose clamp that goes from the rear of the plenum to the TB, loosen the clamp and you should then be able to remove the plenum.

5 Next time to remove the TB, again depending on model there may be some data cables, you should remove them in order to pull off the TB, to remove the TB it will require several bolts to be removed 10 or 13 mm, think 10mm.

6 Once you have it off use brake cleaner and shop rags to clean it, make sure you clean from the rear of it as thats where the bulk of the crude has built up..

7 I also spray down into the opening as well, (some people say it can hurt the motor, i dont see how and it hasnt affected my motor)

8 Re atttach everything and plug in the battery and fire it up. If you have an engine code come up, just un plug the battery, examine all the plugs you re attached and let sit for 30-60 min, then start back up, the code should be gone....

Note for the Hemi its very similar, take off the hemi hat and access the TB, some people say if you manually open the baffle it will damage it, i move mine around all the time when im cleaning it and have had no ill effects..

again with all my DYI please feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

Pic of a throttle body

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:21:01 pm by RamItOne »

Just Imagine how many rep points I'd have if I didn't piss off so many people.

DF Member  "But I'm not going to get to pissed at you, might need to sick you on some ahole one day"

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
Re: DIY 3rd Gen Throttle body cleaning 4.7
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:46:38 pm »
Is that your engine? You have the 4.7?
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:06 pm »
always have. A hemi is a waste, worse gas mileage, req 89 octane, if you truely tow then you need a cummins. If you want to race (which is kinda pointless in a truck) then you want a cummins. I could tow my 20ft pontoon with my yam grizzly in the bed with no issues. They had a few hemis when I bought mine, wasn't a bad deal only 3k more and leather but I hate leather and don't care about gunning my truck. I did beat a lil ricer a while back, put it in tow haul and took it. I wanted a truck to use as a truck, I beat the hell out of it, took it in for an oil change right before I was going out of town. The mech couldn't believe the "scars" my chassis had.

DF Member  "But I'm not going to get to pissed at you, might need to sick you on some ahole one day"

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:11:09 pm »
Lol. Why didn't you change your own oil?
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:41:25 pm »
was leaving out of town that day and so loaded up the truck and got it changed on the way out of town, had a 3k mile (90%hwy) total trip so wanted fresh oil in it

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc