270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Ice Fishing?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Ice Fishing?
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:52:05 am »
Anyone been drillin the ice lately?

I have been going 1-2 times a week. I wish i had pictures of cool things that i have caught but its only been Perch, and little ones at that.

Generally i've been pulling around 20-50 out every time i go and i usually do that within a couple hours in the afternoon before dark. They are always in the 4"-8" range which makes it almost impossible to eat, so they usually go back.

Other than almost having a heart attack every time i have to drill multiple holes through 12"+ of ice with a dull auger, i have no cool story's.

What about you guys?

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: Ice Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:24 pm »
NO....If I Need ICE I go to the store and BUY it :whistling: :cho:

I haven't been in YEARS :argh:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:24:48 am »
Haven't been ice fishing in a few years. But, reports on the Bay are good for perch and walleye right now. But they are going out 4-6 miles, so you're gonna need some sort of transportation.

If you want to know what's going on anywhere in the state, weather its ice fishing, regular fishing, hunting, etc. check this site out. Pretty cool forum.  :up:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/index.php

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 01:31:51 am »

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:33 am »
Thanks, Ken!

That site looks like a PERFECT way to get some know how and where about's to my outdoor adventures.

I just signed up and ill be looking through it to see what it has to offer.

Assuming your screen name is KenZ on there as well, i threw you in my referral spot upon sign up.

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:31:41 am »
Ken- In in LOVE!  :wub:

This forum looks to have the capability to mimic the addiction of crack!

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:45:10 am »
Yep, pretty cool site. During the summer months there is daily updates on Saginaw Bay walleye fishing.  :up: My screen name is the same everywhere. If they want to hack my stuff and steal my payment books more power to them.  :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:53:53 am »
Well i finally had a day worth reporting!

It was windy as hell today though. My shanty almost flew off with me in it several times, but it was worth it.

I probably landed somewhere around 35-40 but this is what made the cut to take home and party with me and my fillet knife.

I get the job done when it comes to cleaning them, but im not totally sure in the fastest. I was workin on these for about an hour.  :death:

I think i may go back tomorrow, or at least one more time this week. We're having a warm up and the ice conditions will probably be less than safe after another week to two weeks.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 03:22:14 am »
Nice mess of perch.  :up: Best tasting fish on the planet if you ask me. In fact, I think I may have a perch dinner in my very near future.  :cheers:  I can't wait, figuring on getting the boat in the water when I come back from the GTG. As soon as the ice goes out, the perch come rolling in.  :punk:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:32:11 am »
Yeah, i have been learning ALOT from that forum that your let me in on. Its become a very addicting thing to me lately to scroll through and read considering i have been doing a lot of fishing.

I was reading that the last ice is the best time to fish, and im sure right after the ice is great too. The ice stops a lot of oxygen from getting into the water which slows the fish down in every aspect. As soon as the ice starts to go away and create open water, the oxygen comes back and the fish get and aggressive and hungry.

Im probably going to go again tomorrow to see if i can get enough fish to add to what i have to make a family dinner. Right now i have enough for 2-3 people. Perch is mighty tasty, but im more for walleye even know they are not far off from each other. Maybe its a fillet size thing?

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:09:05 am »
The 'eyes are pretty good, especially now right out of the cold water. The best fishing is first and last ice. Just be careful as sometimes the conditions can be dangerous.  :eek: There is still a foot or more ice on the bay, but reports are close to 2 feet of slush and water on top of the ice. Makes for tough going with a sled or 'wheeler. They just cancelled a big tourny for this weekend because of the slush. But then again that's Michigan weather.  :lol:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:07:55 am »
Yeah, Michigan is always playing games with us. That's for sure.

I was actually going to go out today but i figured the ice conditions were going to be ugly. The last time i went out, there was a few inchs of slush and it was no fun walking through it with all my stuff.

We have (or had) a good 1' to 1.5' of ice the last time i went out. Im sure its going to be around for a good bit longer but i hope we get a good freeze one last time to make me feel safer about going out. The shore ice is getting pretty thin due to the run off and im not one to like to be wet when its cold out.

I would LOVE to get me some walleye, but i don't have a machine to get me out far enough. Funny thing about deeper water fish- Some guy reported that he had a 3' Sturgeon swim past his hole yesterday at that area i fish. It was around 6' of water. That had to be pretty wild to see.

Im not sure what your schedule is, but if you ever get a day off and wanna go out and see what we can hook... Im more than willing. Although i have to say, most fish that have been coming out of my area are nothing to write home about. They are usually around the 7"-9" size.

Offline Jr. Mechanic

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:04 am »
I've gone out to the reservoir a few times this winter.  I wanted to go out again but we've been in the 40's and 50's the last few days so the amount of water and slush on the ice is a deal breaker. 

Nothing real exciting.  A lot of Perch, mostly small ones but when they hit my buddy and I can pull up 20-40 a piece.  My buddy pulled up a decent Walleye and we've gotten a few Crappie too.

I didn't get into ice fishing until recently and I have to say I really enjoy it, maybe even more so than regular fishing.  We have a 4'x4'x5' collapsible shanty that folds up into a sled.  It's perfect sized for two people, a couple of small chairs, and our gear and it stays pretty warm in there if there's any sun.

What are they hitting on up there?  So far I've found the Perch will hit on wax worms sometimes and minis the rest of the time.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 05:53:41 am »
I have a shanty also, its a definite deal breaker without. Its nice because it keeps you outta the wind and gives you the option for complete dark so you can see down the hole better. I once went out with a shanty that did not have a floor and froze my ass off. When i bought mine, it had to have a floor.

As far as what they are hitting on- Mostly minnows but i always bring wigglers and spikes out there as a plan B and C. Hell, there have been times where they hit on an empty hook! Most people are here are pulling Perch, Crappie and Pans but there are a lot of Pike in the area so there are some people that take advantage of those also. I actually just bought a tip-up this week so im curious to see if i can get me one of those toothed critters next time i go out.

I got into ice fishing only a small handful of years ago actually. I first went out without a shanty and still found excitement in it even know i never caught anything. In fact, my first 2 seasons i did not catch ANYTHING. There was even a season that i did not have an auger and had to spud my holes out which took A LOT of work, but it never stopped me. I used to have to wait for people to come out with me because i did not wanna go alone, but this year is different. Its like pulling teeth to find people to fish with, at least im my group, so now i go alone. I find myself going once or twice a week compared to once or twice a month.

To me, the winter is a miserable time and with things like ice fishing and snow boarding, they keep my mind occupied. If i did not have those two things to do, ya better hide the razor blades!

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc