270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Lookin for some help  (Read 1050 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Lookin for some help
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:51:45 am »
So our boat decided to take a crap on us. My dad and I believe that the water pump has gone out on us. But we're not exactly marine engine professionals. But basically it doesn't suck water in, and when it did get running, the impellor housing got very very hot and could kinda smell burning rubber. But I'm havin issues finding a new pump. Anyone have any good sites or info? The motor is a '73 Chrysler 70HP, and the engine family is 707HF outboard. I've been looking through catalogs at work but not finding much. My next step is to back the boat in the garage and pull the pump off and look for a casting number on it.

Any help would be much appreciated. The lakes are looking awesome around me and it's killing me not havin the boat out.  :(
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: Lookin for some help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:32 am »
The impeller is shot.  A whole water pump may be easier to find than the impeller itself.  Try e-bay or general searches.  A 60-90 hp  should be compatable but cross check first.
Thats an old motor to be finding parts for...but not impossible.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:26 am »
Thank you for the help, in a catalog at work i found the right year of motor, but it was a different HP, and a different engine family, would the engine family make a big difference?
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:56 am »
You need to find one in the same family.  What their refering to is 2 cyl, 3 cyl, and 4's.  Blocks are all the same size per family, as well as most bolt on parts.   The difference in power levels came from carbs, and displacement.  The same family should work.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc