270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: '98 Ram injector ghosts----UPDATE  (Read 1789 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
'98 Ram injector ghosts----UPDATE
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:29:24 am »
A friend came to me today with a problem on his son's truck. '98 Ram 1500 4x4 with 360 motor 90,xxx miles. I'll try to remember what he told me. Was driving along fine and the motor just dropped into a rough run situation, sputtering like it wanted to die. Code checked said #1 and #2 injector bad/missfire. Replaced #1 injector and ran a little better. Replaced #2 and ran worse than before. He has done a complete tuneup, plugs, wires, etc. Replaced the crank sensor, and I believe the cam sensor. Still runs rough, worse on idle. Still says #1 and #2 bad. Swapped #1 with #3 and still gives #1 bad.  :scratch: Has check fuel pressure and it is good. Checked injector wiring and also looks good. He had mentioned that he put a scan tool (what it was I don't know) that showed that the injectors were working, tool shows flashing light when injector fires. I mentioned checking all the grounds, and possibly injector wiring with a meter. The difficult part is that Dad is here in Michigan and son is in Tennessee. Although he is working, he can't afford a trip to the dealer, but can't keep throwing parts at it either. So I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas I could pass along.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:25:51 am by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: '98 Ram injector ghosts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »
To check injectors:

To test the injector only, disconnect the fuel injector wire harness connector from the injector. Place an ohmmeter across the injector terminals. Resistance reading should be approximately 12 ohms +/- 1.2 ohms at 20°C (68°F) .

CAUTION: Do not leave electrical current applied to the injector for longer than five seconds. Damage to injector coil or internal injector seals (Fig. 10) could result.

The only thing common to the injectors is the ASD relay, but it's common to all 8.  The ASD relay supplies power to the injectors at start-up, but when the engine is running, power is supplied by the charging system.  The PCM switches the ground to direct the firing of the injectors.  If the injectors all test OK, I'd suspect a bad injector driver in the PCM - not repairable, so that would mean a replacement PCM.  The misfire code could be caused by bad spark plug/wire as well (if it's a misfire code, and not Injector Control Circuit - the P code would help)
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:48 pm »
To check injectors:

To test the injector only, disconnect the fuel injector wire harness connector from the injector. Place an ohmmeter across the injector terminals. Resistance reading should be approximately 12 ohms +/- 1.2 ohms at 20°C (68°F) .

CAUTION: Do not leave electrical current applied to the injector for longer than five seconds. Damage to injector coil or internal injector seals (Fig. 10) could result.

The only thing common to the injectors is the ASD relay, but it's common to all 8.  The ASD relay supplies power to the injectors at start-up, but when the engine is running, power is supplied by the charging system.  The PCM switches the ground to direct the firing of the injectors.  If the injectors all test OK, I'd suspect a bad injector driver in the PCM - not repairable, so that would mean a replacement PCM.  The misfire code could be caused by bad spark plug/wire as well (if it's a misfire code, and not Injector Control Circuit - the P code would help)

Yeah, I was just gonna say that!

:43:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:46:48 am »
Thanks Tom, I'll pass it along. I'm thinking the injectors are good, and the problem could be electrical in nature. Just didn't know how the injectors were controlled. He has completely swapped all ignition parts....plugs, wires, etc. Was gonna change plugs again thinking maybe he fouled them out. I will pass along the injector test procedure. Could also check the charging system, just to make sure that is up to task. I will also try to get the actual code numbers.

Donny, you were right on the money, just a day late and a dollar short.  :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
Re: '98 Ram injector ghosts----UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:30:56 am »
UPDATE..... Well he did a compression test (local mechanic mentioned this) and found 0 comp. in #5 cylinder. Removed the valve cover and discovered a broken valve spring. So he is now replacing the spring and will see how it runs. This could explain why it just started to run bad all of a sudden, but doesn't explain the injector issue, especially with #5 cylinder. Will stay tuned with results.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:34:23 pm »
Is he replacing just the one spring, or all of them?

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:08 am »
Not sure, but I'm suspecting just the one at least for the time being to get the problem straightened out.

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:37:41 am »
ohm the wire from the injector to the pcm driver, if its low resistance, you most likely have a bad driver in the pcm

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Started the 10,000th Topic!!!
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:55:08 am »
Try changing the up stream o2 sensor
1996 Dogde Ram 1500 club cab
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
air raid cold air intanke
E-3 spark plugs
Built Auto trans with a 1680 stall and lockup converter

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 03:45:22 am »
In talking to him the other day it appears that the whole problem was a broken valve spring. Replaced it, cleared any codes, and so far everything is good as gold. The only thing I can think of is that there was a bad injector on top of the broken spring, plus maybe a couple other small problems. So once all the obvious stuff was repaired, only then did the broken spring show up. Thanks for all the ideas, made the job a little easier.  :up:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc