270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: need some advice.  (Read 1612 times)

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Started the 10,000th Topic!!!
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
need some advice.
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:33 pm »
ok my motor doesn't really have enough power to turn my tranny and i want my truck to be quicker.  My tranny is a rebulit one out of a 99 van with all steel interals and a Stage 2 shift kit from trans-go and I also have a 1680 stall conveter that is a lock up.  I was wondering what I could do to the motor for kinda cheap that will bring the truck up to at least 200 wheel horsepower cause right now I prolly have like 100.  I was thinking headers a cold air intake that actually works.  Mine doesn't.  Also a jet chip an a/c delete kit and maybe a new intake manifold and the headers will be long tubes i am not sure what intake i want yet. just wondering what u guys thought was good and bad.
1996 Dogde Ram 1500 club cab
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
air raid cold air intanke
E-3 spark plugs
Built Auto trans with a 1680 stall and lockup converter

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
Re: need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:51 pm »
the jet chip will be worthless after a week or two of driving.

the stock computer realizes whats going on and then adjusts itself to eliminate the chip's added programing.

headers and intake manifold are good starting points... if you're lookin for a cheap intake manifold... get a hughes belly pan (or buy the exact same thing from a guy on dakota-durango.com for a lot less) and get a felpro gasket, then pull your intake, cut the runners (max is 2in) then put on the belly pan and reinstall.

i'm not sure where to get longtube headers from... but i know ebay has shorties for $150 shipped. comes with gaskets and hardware.

the A/C delete kit isn't needed unless you wanna keep the same length serp belt. otherwise just pull the A/C stuff, throw on a shorter serp belt and ride.

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:35:32 am »
but with that route i will prolly still be running 150 horse i got 215,000 miles remeber.
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
E-3 spark plugs

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:37:40 am »
but with that route i will prolly still be running 150 horse i got 215,000 miles remeber.

anything short of a total overhaul would prolly help it.   ;)

but, have you seafoamed it? it'll help clear out the built up carbon

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:49:29 am »
never had seafoam ran through it lol
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
E-3 spark plugs

Offline johnnyjaws98

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:00 am »
when you have carbon build up it actually gives you more compresson   fact. put a tourqe cam in it. seafoam can hurt to . carbon releases and some times it gets stuck in the valve seats then your screwed!!

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:01:50 am »
ok my motor doesn't really have enough power to turn my tranny and i want my truck to be quicker.  My tranny is a rebulit one out of a 99 van with all steel interals and a Stage 2 shift kit from trans-go and I also have a 1680 stall conveter that is a lock up.  I was wondering what I could do to the motor for kinda cheap that will bring the truck up to at least 200 wheel horsepower cause right now I prolly have like 100.  I was thinking headers a cold air intake that actually works.  Mine doesn't.  Also a jet chip an a/c delete kit and maybe a new intake manifold and the headers will be long tubes i am not sure what intake i want yet. just wondering what u guys thought was good and bad.

I'd pass on all of those mods imho (except for the belly pan).  If your motor is that far gone, it won't make a bit of difference.  I have ceramic coated shorty's and stage 8's.  The ceramic is coming off (rust), and the header bolts have seen better days (more rust).  If I had a choice whether to do it again or not... I wouldn't have.  I already know I will have to swap back to stock manifolds down the road.  Also, the LT's on an un-modded engine can hurt low end.  As far as the Cold air intakes... i've tried a few.  I went to the k&n drop in, to open air cleaner, back to stock with drop in filter, then k&n FIPK CAI with prefilter, and... finally back to stock with drop in which I still run today.  In both of the mods, if I did gain the slightest bit of anything... it wasn't worth the $.  I would have left the K&N CAI, but... I started noticing dirty water drop stains on the shield.  If there is one thing I can't stand, it is what I call "limiting mods".  I shouldn't have to adjust to support a mod. One guy killed his engine by sucking up water (think he hit a puddle).  Not worth the risk for me.  (Link will go to dark side if you want to see the thread http://tinyurl.com/7kc9e6u  )  Another limiting mod imho is HS 1.7 RR's... but i'll save that for another day lol.

SHO covered the jet chip and a/c delete.  The a/c really isn't causing much drag unless the clutch is locked.  Look at it as an idler pulley.

If you want to spend money, rebuild it like SHO suggested.  If you want the truck to be "quicker" like you mentioned in your post, do a gear swap.  You'll benefit from a gear swap much more than a couple bolt on's.

Good Luck!
01 1500 4x4

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »
Well plans have changed alot since I posted this i well just be getting another 360 and just do a storker mod and heads and intake and headers all at once down the road.
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
E-3 spark plugs

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc