270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Manifold studs  (Read 912 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Manifold studs
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »
I'm putting my headers on the truck and have the manifolds off, I need to take the two center studs on each side out. One of them came out with the nut, but the others are still in. I want to get some advice before i try my own methods and end up breaking one off. Thanks.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: Manifold studs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »
PB Blaster and let it soak

Heat

Cussing with all of the above  :lol:
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:06 am »
Spray some PB Blaster on it and let it sit for a few hours.

Rap on the end of the stud with a hammer. Not enough to screw the stud up but a few good raps. This will help break the rust.

Spray some more PB on it and let it sit overnight.

If it doesn't come out in the morning, you'll need to heat it and let it cool to the touch. The you should be able to get it.

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »
When I did mine, I had one stubborn one too.  It is surprising because they arn't in that far at all.  A propane torch was enough for mine, and locked on with a set of vice grips... and out she came :)   Actually if I had to do it all over again, i'd buy new studs and put them in.  Would make the install a lot easier than than trying to balance the header, hold the gasket, and somehow manage to get a bolt started.  Extra sets of hands do come in handy with the install.  If you kept the two center studs, just hang the gasket, hang the header, and your all set.

Also, not sure if you have tried the double nut method for removing the stud.  Get two grade 8 nuts that are the right size... (to long ago to remember the size off hand).  start them both on the stud, and hold the bottom nut still while you tighten the top nut against it.  I use a box end hand wrench on the inside nut.  Now with the nuts tightened against each other... while the box end is still on the inside nut, act like you want to remove the nut (loosen).  If you did it right, hopefully the stud twisted out.  When I tried that method, i accidentally grabbed grade 1 not thinking, and i stripped the nuts out against each other.  Didn't bother the stud one bit.  Your call on what method to use, but remember heat is your friend :D   Good luck!
01 1500 4x4

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:04:21 am »
I was able to get them out with just the PB blaster and the double nut thing, no heat required. And I did go ahead and just put new studs back, and the install went very easily. The headers didn't change the sound all that much, but I also wasn't expecting a huge change. It sounds a bit different at idle and thats about it. But I'm pleased with the way they fit and how it turned out.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc