270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Air through floor vents  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
Air through floor vents
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:23:30 am »
Does anybody know which actuator controls the air that comes out of the floor vents?
1) one controls dash to defog (looking under the dash on the drivers side and UP)
2) one - I'm not sure what it does (looking under the dash on drivers side and across to passengers side)
3) one behind the glove box that controls fresh air/max ac.  (Recirculation door actuator)

1 & 3 are working but no matter what the air is always coming out of the floor vents. 2 also moves but I can not see if it is hooked up.
I am guessing #2, but wanted to make sure before I dug into it - for the 3rd time.  :censored:

Thanks!
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
Re: Air through floor vents
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:55 am »
Started digging into this my self and found that #2 does turn on/off the floor vents.  Looking closer I could see when the actuator moved it was not linear so I knew it was not hooked up to anything.  I was able to remove the floor vents in the middle without removing the dash.  I reached inside and could move the mode door freely.  The top of it was not in the hinge reseptical.  I decided to try and persuade it, a little too much.  The door broke in half.  Now not only do I need to remove the dash, again, I need to find this door...
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:57 pm »
Not surprised, never usually the actuator motor.  Almost always the platic hinges on the dorrs that wear off.  I suggest: http://heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html
Great product, great customer support and instructional videos.  I did the mode door 1, recirc door and blend door in my 03 last fall.  Works like a charm and does not involve complete removal of the dash.  About 5 hours for me to do all the work.
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
That product does not work on the mode door of the 2g trucks, only on the blend door - which I had to do back in October.  Pricey little piece but well worth it.

The hinge on this one didn't break, the door itself actually cracked inhalf.  If I pulled the dash I could probably mend this one and make it work, but for now (or maybe forever) I took some plastic and stuffed it in the floor vents and put the vent back on.  No air is coming out of them now and it can't be seen.
Scott

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:46:00 am »
I see, crap!
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc