270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: North to Alaska  (Read 6904 times)

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
Re: North to Alaska
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:22:28 pm »
4th day, arrived in Skegway. Took a highspeed boat down the fjord to a place called Glacier Point, where we climb into these 12 person powered canoes. Head up a glacier river to Davidson Glacier. It's different than most in that it's retreating.

Transit boat...

Notice the canoe in the foreground, helps put the size into perspective.

After awhile, we noticed that we had company.

He / She had been checking us out, couldn't see us, but could smell us. Eventually kept moving down the mountain towards us.

After moving close enough, we all decided that the tour was just about over. :whistling:

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:00 am »
That trip looked to be absolutely AMAZING!

Out of the many places to travel to, going to Alaska and seeing the things you two did pretty much tops everything!

Thanks for posting pictures along with the little descriptions.

Glad you two had a good time!  :up:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:06 am »
That trip looked to be absolutely AMAZING!

Out of the many places to travel to, going to Alaska and seeing the things you two did pretty much tops everything!

Thanks for posting pictures along with the little descriptions.

Glad you two had a good time!  :up:

The scope of this state is really amazing Nick. It's 2.5 times the size of Texas and mostly undeveloped wilderness. Their motto on the license plates reads "The Last Frontier"....and it's definitely true. Visiting this state should be on every ones "bucket list".

Stay tuned......it gets better. ;D

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 02:53:01 am »
Wow - amazing pics Walt!

Makes me want to go even more!
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 05:40:09 am »
Our last 2 days were spent cruising some scenic fjords. Took a ton of pics, way too many to post here, so I'll add a link to see them at photobucket.

The wind blowing down the mountain and over the ice was like some natural a/c.....froze my tail off!

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x190/Bigriver07/Alaska%20Scenic%20Crusing/?start=all

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:52 pm »
Hmm... does this pic indicate we're having bear steaks at the next g2g  ;D

Offline Southern Belle

• Lounge Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorLay'n LowHigh Mile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
Those pictures are awesome Walt looks lik yall had an awesome time. I want to go on an alaskan cruise... We've talked about maybe planning a one way alaskan cruise eventually :)

_(O|||||||O)_

Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour turns out to be a retard in tin foil.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 03:24:44 am »
After seeing this picture and imagining myself there, i can only imagine how badly i would be thinking of a decent sized log cabin with a spiral staircase to access all 3 floors overlooking this view on the back balcony.

I swear... after my life in the rat race is said and done, i cant wait to find me a little place away from it all like this so i can drink my morning coffee in front of and be in a mesmerized state every morning.

Too bad im only a few days over half way to 50...  :death:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »
A few vid's of the cruising...

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 06:45:38 pm »
After the ship portion of the trip, we boarded a train enroute to Denali National Park. Long ride, about 8 hours or so. All the seats for the train are on the 2nd deck, while the lounge and diner areas are below.

After awhile, I got tired of listening to the narrator on board, decided to plug in the iphone and buds to take it all in while listening to some classic Zepplin.
Now that's a way better outlook on the scenery! :up:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:44:10 pm by BigRiver »

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:52 pm »
Some pics of the local critters that roam around.

Grizzly sow with cub at Denali National Park

Caribu at Denali

This one was chillin out on the snow

Moose cow with 2 calves at Denali

Soaring Bald Eagle at the fjords

Eagle nest along a river

Moose cow with calf near a bikepath outside of Anchorage

Gotta say that for anyone living there, from what I saw, there's no reason anyone would stave.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 01:41:36 am »
Awesome Walt, just awesome!  :up:  Ever since friends of ours took an RV vacation to Alaska (9weeks on the road) I've been dieing to see Alaska and the western part of Canada. It probably won't happen soon, but it will happen sometime.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 05:19:54 am »
Near the end of our trip, the weather finally cooperated in allowing us the chance to make a flight to Mt. McKinley. Denali was the original name, which is an Indian name for "The Great One", but President McKinley was in office when Denali National Park was established, so coincidentally his name was given to the mountain. Alaskans still call the mountain Denali, but all the maps have it named otherwise. "Denali" is the highest mountain in North America, with an altitude of 20,320 ft.

We had 6 other passengers so the company, K2 aviation chose a twin engine plane for our flight. Being the eager one of the group, I was near the door when the pilot said that who ever wanted the co-pilot seat, to go for it. I bailed in before anyone said a word. (Just hoped that the pilot didn't keel over and leave me to fly that plane!)

Anyway, we were in a valley away from the mountain range, so we had some time to climb in altitude and survey the landscape.

Cloud cover is usually a problem flying to Denali, which was the case on our 3 previous reservations that were cancelled. Today it was just barely good enough to go up. We came in flying under the clouds at about 7k altitude. The normal path the pilots take in, is to follow a glacier. Kinda looks like a super highway of ice, though I wouldn't want to land on it.

We followed the glacier up to where it began near Denali, at which point the saltly old bush pilot calmly said "I think that it's clear enough to climb through the clouds to ascend above them and see Denali better". :eek:
OK, that was interesting, He began climbing to over 11k and finally popped up through the cloud ceiling to show us all a hellava view!

And this is Denali, as you can see the north and south peaks.

This was really an awesome experience seeing the mountain in this fashion. Here's a link to see a few more pics at photobucket.
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x190/Bigriver07/Denali/?start=all

Also, here's a few vids!

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »
just wow, so jealous
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 07:30:45 pm »
 :up: awesome adventure

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc