270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Voltage issues  (Read 838 times)

kf123

Voltage issues
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:42 am »
Alright I need some help figuring out this voltage issue I imagine someone here has had a similar problem. Well the other day I bought new batterys because my truck was starting hard... so that was the begining of the problem, put in the new batterys and it started perfect, loved it. on my marry way I go, then about 2 days later the alternator stops charging... at night of all times, but luckily I bought those new batterys so I have enough juice to get home and get to the garage, thinking its the alternator I took it off and brought it to the auto store where they tested it and said it was fine, so I then hooked up and external voltage regulator since I heard the ones in the pcm are junk. got that all hooked up and working and now I am getting wayyyy to much charge, I mean its not at the 18 but i wana say its like 15.5 or so and the airbag light keeps dinging on every once and a while. I am thinking just buy a new alternator? is there somthing inside of them that goes bad, i thought the only regulator was the one in the pcm

Offline Austin The DieselTech

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    500 HPROTYrotmDonor
Re: Voltage issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:00 pm »
Have you check the alternator wiring for any corrosion?  15.5 is a little bit up there.  I usually like to see around 14 volts.
2012 Ram 3500 SLT CCSB 4X4 Auto 4.10's
2002 2500 Sport Ext. Cab 4X4 lifted on 37's, Airdog, P-Pumped and twined. Traded In 5/2/13
2003 2500 SLT QCLB 4X4 Totaled

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »
What are you using to measure voltage?  How did you wire in the voltage regulator?
01 1500 4x4

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32:18 pm »
The first thing I would do is disconnect both batteries and test them separately.  One could be shorted and sending a "need charge" signal, but the other is fully charged
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

kf123

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:12:17 am »
Ok got the problem fixed, it acctually was the alternator. Put a diffrent one on today and everything worked great... took my old one back into advance to have them test it again and this time it said fail... somthing must of just been going bad and didnt register on the machine the last time I had them test it. and yea i did wire the regulator in correctly it is all working good now. I had a feeling it was the alternator, everyone I talked to though said it couldnt be. its running at about 14.2 volts now

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc