270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 01-02 Cam Sensor Adapter Installation  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Austin The DieselTech

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    500 HPROTYrotmDonor
01-02 Cam Sensor Adapter Installation
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:30:07 pm »
I see we don't have any DIY's for anyone who wants to take on the task of a P-Pump conversion.  So, I decided I would share some of my knowledge and experiences.  Here is the cam sensor adapter that is required for 01-02 24V engine that have the cam sensor located in the timing case.  The 98.5-00 24V engine have have a crank sensor that is located behind the starter.   

This task is best done before the timing case is installed onto the engine due to the material you have to remove so the senor will line up properly with the tone ring on the cam gear.  First off, install the sensor adapter onto the timing case where the small hole with 2 threaded holes.  Then, take a sharpie or something that will make a mark and mark the inside of the sensor adapter where the material has to be removed like so.

Next, remove the sensor adapter.  As for removed the material you have marked, you can either use a die grinder with an aluminum de-burring tool or a dremel with a grinding stone.  The die grinder works alot faster.  I made the mistake of not being informed about having to enlarge the hole so the pictures in my writeup are done with it on the engine.

After you get done grinding out to your mark, install the adapter and look through the hole and make sure there is no extra trimming for the sensor to fit.  Once the sensor fits with the adapter installed, install the sensor into the adapter.  The allen head bolt for the sensor on my adapter is a 5MM.  Put a bead of silicone around the outside edge of the adapter and around the outter bolt holes so there wont be any oil leak from behind the adapter.  Install the adapter to the timing case for the last time with a 4MM allen wrench.

As for how tight to tighten the bolts, I just snugged them up since the case is aluminum and the bolts are very small, I didn't want to risk breaking bolts off or strip the case out.  Well, that is it.  You just installed the adapter you need so that your tachometer and alternator will work!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:17:25 pm by Austin The DieselTech »
2012 Ram 3500 SLT CCSB 4X4 Auto 4.10's
2002 2500 Sport Ext. Cab 4X4 lifted on 37's, Airdog, P-Pumped and twined. Traded In 5/2/13
2003 2500 SLT QCLB 4X4 Totaled

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: 01-02 Cam Sensor Adapter Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:05:31 am »
Nice write up!  :up:

Now, if I only had the :nutz: to tackle this...

I'm still running a VP   :whistling:
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline Austin The DieselTech

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    500 HPROTYrotmDonor
Re: 01-02 Cam Sensor Adapter Installation
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 02:24:15 am »
Thanks.  I wish I would've taken a few more pics when I did the rest of the conversion.  I would've done that for a DIY.  I do have a couple more things I am gonna tackle that can be DIY's.
2012 Ram 3500 SLT CCSB 4X4 Auto 4.10's
2002 2500 Sport Ext. Cab 4X4 lifted on 37's, Airdog, P-Pumped and twined. Traded In 5/2/13
2003 2500 SLT QCLB 4X4 Totaled

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc