270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Can someone do me a solid here?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
Can someone do me a solid here?
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:20:57 am »
Grab my sig pic..

I so gotta loose this chrome grille.. wanna go body color with chrome inserts.. and then is it possible for you to shade or color the entire front bumper the same as my fender flares and rockers? I wanna coat the bumper in the same stuff I did the rockers and flares and bed in.. would like a decent graphical respesentation of what it may look like first..

Trying to go more sinister...
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Can someone do me a solid here?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:02:28 pm »
Best I can do so far.  I can't figure out how to get rid of the chrome and make it look like paint.  Hopefully the wizard will chime in and explain. 

Offline Taurus

• Master Technician
  • Respect My Authority!
  • Awards:
    rotmContributorDonation
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:10 am »
Best I can do so far.  I can't figure out how to get rid of the chrome and make it look like paint.  Hopefully the wizard will chime in and explain. 

The only thing your missing to make it look like paint is some color.  I did exactly the same for the chrome color, started with black and some blue/green until it color matched the truck.  Notice how the bumper looks like a completely different color than the hood.  If you blend between the two colors it will look like freshly washed paint.  In this case, Tommy's truck is clean enough that the paint would reflect the same as the chrome, minus some saturation. 

Here is the color profile I used.

And here is the effect.

Now going between glossy and matte finishes is a complete monster of a task.  If the paint is dirty and you want to de-chrome or go from gloss paint to matte paint, then there is no process.  There is no simple way to mimic that in either direction, each situation will be unique and require a lot of effort to get it to look right.  You might get lucky and a surface blur layer may work, or you may have to paint the entire thing by hand, there just isnt an easy way to do it.

Were you parents related? Like before they were married?

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.

2012 JCW Mini Hardtop

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:09:42 am »
I was messing with the hue/saturation trying to bring some blue into it, but didn't even think of changing the color.  I just filled the whole layer with black.

Good to know...thanks

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc