270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Turbo's before they were cool....  (Read 3318 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Turbo's before they were cool....
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:34:19 am »
Anyone besides me remember back in the late 80's thru the early 90's the drag wars between the Buick GN's and the 5.0l Mustangs? Thinking about Tom's chevelle brought back memories of them bad azzz turboV-6 GN's. I remember seeing them at the track, and in every car rag of the day (I had subscriptions to Hot Rod, Popular Hotrodding, Car Craft, and Hi-Po Pontiac). They actually had match racing touring the tracks during the summer, with Ken Duttwieler and Ken Bell being the heavy hitters. Its awesome to see a supercharged 5.0L Mustang stand on its tail, but nothing sounds quite like a turbocharged Buick V-6 up on the RPM's.  :punk:  Just because its a fast turbo 6 cylinder, doesn't mean they are all in a straight line.   :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline REDR6

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    Marine Corp
Re: Turbo's before they were cool....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »
They were GM's fastest production car up until a few years ago...
Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!

I think life is too short to spend your time working someplace where people don't crap their pants at the mere sight of you.

2001 Ram 2500 4x4 auto!

Offline 1970496STChevelle

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    1000HPTech CertifiedDistinguished
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:18 pm »
Those cars were bad ass!!  Back in the day those things ruled the street, if you had one no body effed with you!

1970 Chevelle 496 Single 101mm Turbo . . . Stock door panels and rear seat. (It was easier to say what is stock than list all the mods.)
2004 Duramax Heavy Dooty, Edge CTS, S&B intake, MPRP exhaust

1965 Corvette Stingray (Dad's car)
1970 Corvette Convertible (Mom's car)
1931 Sedan Delivery (Grandfather's, bought new)

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »
I tell ya what, folks better watch out for some of these smaller engined turbo cars that are starting to come out.

The trucks and cars with the smaller motors and turbos are gittin' it.

I drove one of the new Ford F150's with the EcoBoost motors the other day and let me tell ya, that thing is no slouch for a gas motor. It feels like driving my truck, with 1/3 the hp. It's really mild down low, but when the turbos come in, that sucker scoots. Suppose to run 14's right out of the box.

The next few years are going to be interesting with these smaller motors and turbos showing up.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »
Those cars were bad ass!!  Back in the day those things ruled the street, if you had one no body effed with you!

Don't forget the '91 and '92 GMC Cyclone and Typhoon pickups. Turbocharged V-6 4.3 liter, all wheel drive monsters. Wasn't hard to take one of these and smoke a new vette on the street. In fact the GN's were probably the only competition for these guys at the time. 280hp rated (actually closer to 330hp) and 350tq from the factory. I almost bought one when I bought my very first new car, but didn't have the coin ($26,004...yes I still remember the price  :pout:). So I elected for the stripper 4-cyl. 5 speed version.  :banging:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:48:52 pm by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Turbo's before they were cool....
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »
My neighbor up the street has a Buick Regal I think it is called "type T". It has the turbo GN engine in it but is a bench seat sleeper. He is in the process of restoring it. He recently rebuilt the turbo and is slowly bringing it back to life.

He also has 68 or 69 Firebird with a big block that he is working on. Oh and an old Coronet too.

I think he is trying to keep busy so he doesn't have to listen to his wife who babbles non stop.... ;D
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »
I almost bought one when I bought my very first new car, but didn't have the coin ($26,004...yes I still remember the price  :pout:).

Love the cent amount... And nope- can't say I remember the drag races from the 80's.... :tt2:

Jon- didn't we see a Grand National in SoCal? Or was that a different car that you tried to keep up with in mine but the dude totally was dying laughing as he sped off???
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline REDR6

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    Marine Corp
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:46:30 pm »
I almost bought one when I bought my very first new car, but didn't have the coin ($26,004...yes I still remember the price  :pout:).

Love the cent amount... And nope- can't say I remember the drag races from the 80's.... :tt2:

Jon- didn't we see a Grand National in SoCal? Or was that a different car that you tried to keep up with in mine but the dude totally was dying laughing as he sped off???
It WAS a Grand National that I I flew passed while he was stopped... He flew passed me very shortly thereafter...

I think life is too short to spend your time working someplace where people don't crap their pants at the mere sight of you.

2001 Ram 2500 4x4 auto!

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:27 am »
Another "sleeper" was the pontiac 4.3 supercharged, I had, wife had a Bonneville SSEI that scooted, (got the ticket to show)
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:55:21 am »
Another "sleeper" was the pontiac 4.3 supercharged, I had, wife had a Bonneville SSEI that scooted, (got the ticket to show)

Ah, the blown V-6's. Had a buddy who's dad had the supercharged Buick Park Avenue Ultra...Nicknamed cremepuff.  :lol:

My neighbor up the street has a Buick Regal I think it is called "type T". It has the turbo GN engine in it but is a bench seat sleeper. He is in the process of restoring it. He recently rebuilt the turbo and is slowly bringing it back to life.

He also has 68 or 69 Firebird with a big block that he is working on. Oh and an old Coronet too.

I think he is trying to keep busy so he doesn't have to listen to his wife who babbles non stop.... ;D

The Buick Regal T type is a GN in sheep's clothing. Pretty much a factory sleeper for the time. Definitely a car to bring back to life.  :up:

The '69 Firebird is in my top 5 dream car list. There is no such thing as a big block Pontiac. They were all the same sized blocks. Unless he put a chevy in it, in which you need to immediately confiscate the car and remove the motor....  :bat:  ;D

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:58 am »

It WAS a Grand National that I I flew passed while he was stopped... He flew passed me very shortly thereafter...
I thought so... I think he had more toggle switches than I do... Clearly I need to up the ante. I also think he flew past us barely touching the gas pedal.
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 02:37:03 am »
As a kid I had a '69 Firebird.  The original 350 leaked so bad it went away and was replaces with a 400 small block.  The 2 speed powerglide was a joke though, shifted into 2nd at 45-55 and wound at at 140ish, but it took forever to get there.  With the 400sb, a 350 turbo hydramatic entered the picture with the bottom end and topend greatly improved.
It ran so good, the state sold it, something about prearranged road racing or something.....
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:16:27 am »
One guy I went to school with wrecked 4 GN's by the time he graduated.  I had the displeasure of seeing one of those wrecks first hand as he was hit head on by a Camry.  Both drivers were ok, but the GN was a total loss. 
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Offline REDR6

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    Marine Corp
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

I thought so... I think he had more toggle switches than I do... Clearly I need to up the ante. I also think he flew past us barely touching the gas pedal.

Oh no... He was ON it... You totally need a bigger turbo... and bigger injectors.  :cho:

2001 Ram 2500 4x4 auto!

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »
As a kid I had a '69 Firebird.  The original 350 leaked so bad it went away and was replaces with a 400 small block.  The 2 speed powerglide was a joke though, shifted into 2nd at 45-55 and wound at at 140ish, but it took forever to get there.  With the 400sb, a 350 turbo hydramatic entered the picture with the bottom end and topend greatly improved.
It ran so good, the state sold it, something about prearranged road racing or something.....

Me being a Pontiac fan/nut, I'm not such a fan with the small block chevy transplant. But that's just me.  ;D As for the 2-spd 'glide, had one in a '68 Bel-Air behind a 307 small block. You ain't seen turd until you drove one of these combo's.  :banging: Put it in low and mash the gas......shift into 2nd when you hit 70.....it takes awhile......shift into 2nd and she tops out at 80.  :lol: The interesting thing about the 307 is that it burned oil right out of the factory door.

But, the guys running the dirt track races kill for a 2-spd slush box. Put it in low and leave it there for the whole race.  :fart:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc