270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Death Wobble OR my Power Steering is gone/going?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
Death Wobble OR my Power Steering is gone/going?
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
So, in early December, i noticed my truck was whining, so i added some DOT-3 (like an idiot)..... i shouold say i added quite a bit, really, like one of those economy bottles for through out a week.  However, through out that week, if i hit a pot hole ataround 35 or higher, my whole front end would shake, dangerously.  The only fix was to either jerk the wheel real quick, or pull over.  So, after narrowing the PS problem to a rusted line, i replaced the part/lines on the farward lower part of the engine.  However, i am still getting the wobble on the highway, and on surface roads (although less deadly).  What i want to know is; did filling my resevoir with DOT-3 and not ATF fluid burn out my PS?  Or does the "Death Wobble" just pop up after time?  Thanks for the help, guys!

Forgot to mention that it's a 95 ram V8 Mag
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:02:12 pm by RAMItDown »
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline jcodner

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
Re: Death Wobble OR my Power Steering is gone/going?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
try checking your steering components like your tie rod ends and drag link ends ... also try jacking it up and checking the ball  joints and wheel bearings.  using a pry bar check your track bar. any of these parts gone can cause you to have a wobble in the front. Usually if the power steering pump is gone you will have a difficult time turning the wheel.

Id also drain the fluid and run atf through it for safe measure.
Jordon
04.5 2500, S&B Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Cortex programmer, silencer ring MIA, 08.5 steering upgrade,  more to come wit time hopefully

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »
Thanks for the response, Jcodner,  I just need to wait for a decent of a day to get under the beast to check those.  It's just weird that it started RIGHT when my power steering leak occurred.
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline blowin_soot

• Service Manager
  • Vote for SOOT!!!
  • Awards:
    100kROTMDonor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:54:46 am »
Nothing like a good death wooble to wake you up!!!  :eek:

2006 2500 Megacab CTD, DTT auto built by the guys at AAMCO of Reno, a little tweak here and there.

www.oldblue1954.blogspot.com

Offline sanddragonslayer

• SW Region Lead
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • the voices tell me.... BUILD BUILD BUILD
  • Awards:
    300kShadeTreeROTMContributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
Definitely drain/flush, but the death wobble is a separate issue, just a coincidence.  I've had it on a third gen, and my current second gen. Third gen ended up being control arms.second gen was a broken lower ball joint :eek:  so take your time and look at everything.fine be afraid to use aprybar tyu give a little extra leverage. I couldn't  tell my ball joint was bad  bare handed. Good luck
95 12v 4x4 auto K&N drop in. 4 inch turbo back MBRP exhaust, Garmon trans, 4k gsk, 140 injectors, fully modded afc, pump timed, delivery valves, custom ground fuel plate, Phatshaft 62. And a very large list of to do's.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc