270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Yay.... wheel bearing went tonight :(  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Dallas192

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
Re: Yay.... wheel bearing went tonight :(
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »
know how you feel, got my XRF ball joints in for my 99qc4x4 2500 diesel, took it all apart on friday, left side hub had a little play so ordered new hub from Amazon 243...good price, ball joints went fine, replaced the u joints....that was a biotch....found a video on youtube about using a socket and small extension and the power steering to get the hubs out, worked like a charm....just got the left hub today so over to the machine shop in the morning to press the rotors back on and slap everything back together tomorrow, weather permitting
1999 2500 Ram qc auto 4x4 4"MBRB and Edge w/Attitude

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »
know how you feel, got my XRF ball joints in for my 99qc4x4 2500 diesel, took it all apart on friday, left side hub had a little play so ordered new hub from Amazon 243...good price, ball joints went fine, replaced the u joints....that was a biotch....found a video on youtube about using a socket and small extension and the power steering to get the hubs out, worked like a charm....just got the left hub today so over to the machine shop in the morning to press the rotors back on and slap everything back together tomorrow, weather permitting

I would recommend you pick up one of these next time you have to do a u-joint.  I'm not a fan of china tools... but i'll tell ya for the price this is worth every penny.  Grab a 20% off coupon online before you go.    http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wheel-drive-ball-joint-service-kit-4065.html

Just stick the press on the u-joint.  The threaded end will push against the one side cap, and the other end of the tool has a hole to receive the opposite cap.  Grab an impact gun and let it do all the work for you.  I've done u-joints the old way many times... but this just makes the job that much nicer.  Just run it in till it pushes the cap out.  flip it and run the other cap out.

Also, last night I had to pull the CAD again.  The first time I cleaned both surfaces really well with brake clean before I used Ultra Black permatex.... and it didn't seal.  When I pulled the cad, the permatex didn't stick to the aluminum????  And I pealed the permatex off the axle surface like tape.  The other night I figured I'd re-try it.  I cleaned those surfaces for at least 10 minutes with brake clean and paper towels.  Made sure the cavity was dry.  Allowed more setup time...  and it actually held a lot better....  but still wept.  Once again when I pulled the cad, the permatex did not stick to the aluminum....   This is my first bad experience with permatex.  I've used it on aluminum engine casings before on the 4 wheeler.  Never a problem on axle diff covers either.  Maybe I bought a bad tube???  Either way... after two attempts, I finally drove down to DE to pickup the correct cad gasket for $8.60.  It is a metal core cork gasket, that is bowed...  I guess as you tighten the gasket compresses and keeps tension.  I should have done this in the first place...  and feel much better now having the correct gasket.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:30:08 pm by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 04:36:09 am »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
2:34 in the video
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 04:57:39 am »
:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
2:34 in the video

Haha, glad to see someone watched it  :lol:  :up:
01 1500 4x4

Offline Southern Belle

• Lounge Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorLay'n LowHigh Mile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 06:34:24 am »
not what I would expect out of that guy at 2.34  :rotflol: :rotflol:

_(O|||||||O)_

Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour turns out to be a retard in tin foil.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc