270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DSLR's ?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
Re: DSLR's ?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
since we are on the subject of cameras, and I'm sure there are some astronomy buffs in here. . .anyone know of a way to mount a camera to the view port of a telescope.

Ive got a Celestron Nextstar D=114mm F=1000mm telescope and have been trying to find a way to mount my old trusty Fuji s5000 on to.

Ive tossed around the idea of getting a seperate CCD for it, but I doubt it will work as the telescope is a reflective style and the CCD's out there will only work with refractive telescopes.

anyone seen anything out there that will work?

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »
They make adapter rings ... Clamp or screw onto the eye piece & ataches to the camera. Just need to find the right one for you telescope / camera combo.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/photographic/celestrontadapteruniversal114inch.cfm
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 01:58:59 am »
Jo, I have been scouring the internet for this. . .http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/photographic/universaldigiscopingadaptersmall.cfm

this will work, and if not it will make the base for what I want.

Thanks!!! :up:

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 03:09:38 pm »
Now I can "officially" add to this thread --- couldn't count what was in shipping :lol:

Canon Eos D7
Canon PowerShot sx20

So back in Feb of 2012 I got this unit ... At the end of July I had a mild heart-attack after a day of picture taking.  About 2/3 of the images I shot that day weren't in the storage folder on the card.  Come to find out I'd rolled the IMG_9999 naming convention and the camera had generated a new storage folder and restarted the naming. 

Hmm that's what 10K + pictures in 30 months ... Nope I'm not a picture whore ... not going to claim that one :lol:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:22 am »
Yea, I can see where that would cause a bit of concern....  :lol: I have a slightly different problem with my Minolta. Every time I turn the camera on it starts a new folder. So at the end of the day I may have 10 folders, some with 50 pics, some with 2 pics. When I install a new card the img name/numbers start over. I never title my pics, so I run into problems downloading new pics as they have the same 'name' as the old ones.

Now in the market for a new DSLR. Had the Minolta for quite a few years, time to upgrade. I've decided that it will be a Sony as all my Minolta lenses will fit the Sony mount. Thus a big cash savings not having to replace 5-6 lenses. Now which one will it be....

Maybe I should do something with the computer first. Tried to download the last vacation photos and there is no room on the hard drive. Crap.  :banging:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 02:26:21 am »
For storage space (and peace of mind) I have an external hard drive where I save all of my pictures and back up important documents and such.  I have a terabyte to work with so I shouldn't fill it up too quickly.  I've actually had it a couple years and haven't filled it up yet!  Though, with kids, I'll be adding to it a lot more than before.
 :cents:

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:33 am »
You might want to think about an "offsite" back of those photos too. In case of theft, etc. Ive got lots of local backups but the important stuff i backup to the "cloud" too. lol
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 01:45:00 pm »
For years I used a TB drive as the backup; would update it from the local drive then put it back in the safe.  But then I upgraded my router & it had the ability to not only make it a networked drive but allow me access remotely via my phone.  So the temptation to be able to pull my entire picture collection from anywhere got me & I dropped my back up standard. 

I'll come up with a secondary solution at some point.

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 03:03:59 am »
I don't know why, I'm just a bit nervous about "clouds."  I can't afford anything, but I don't want them to be accessible to anyone else.  I also want to be able to maintain all rights over my pictures.  (There's a reason I'm not on Instagram...)

Any suggestions?

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:16 am »
Well, when I say "cloud" im not doing storing them on Instagram or Flicker or anything like that. Im privacy minded so  anything I store is gonna be encrypted before it leaves the house.

For ease of use I like Crashplan (5 bucks a month) for unlimited storage. (Backblaze is another option)
Being a bit of a Geek I use Amazon storage and backup about 50 gigs for about 1 buck and change.

there are a few others but tose are my favorite..

Crashplan has a free version too. If you have friends that use it you can cross share storage over the internet so you can store your files at their house and vice versa. (all encrypted so they cant actually read your files and vice versa)
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc