270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2nd Gen Steering Box Stabilizer Install  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Austin The DieselTech

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    500 HPROTYrotmDonor
2nd Gen Steering Box Stabilizer Install
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »
This is a BD SBS kit.  First off on the page that tells you what tools you need, when it refers to the socket to install the new sector shaft nut, you want to have a deep socket.  The instructions don't tell you it has to be a deep socket until you read that step.  I would've had this posted yesterday but I didn't bring home a deep socket.  Also, there is a packet of Red Loc-tite that came in the box for the sway bar bolts and bearing set screws but I did not use it.

Step 1:

Make sure all the parts are there and you have ALL the proper tools for installation ease.

Step 2:

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar brackets onto the frame.  They are a 15MM.

Step 3:

Remove the sector shaft nut with a 1 5/16" socket/wrench.

Step 4:

Install new sector shaft nut using old lock washer with a 1 1/4 DEEP socket and torque to 180FTLBS.

Step 5:

Hold SBS bar up onto frame and install sway bar over top of SBS bar.  Install but do not tighten full the 4 10MM bolts and washers.  Bolt head size is 17MM.  The new sector shaft nut should be centered in the bearing hole on the bar.

Step 6:

Install the bearing bolt from the top and never-seize the sector shaft nut where the bearing slides on.  Back the 2 set screws in the bearing out so it will slide onto the sector shaft nut.  Install bearing and install the washers, lock-washers, and nuts but do not tighten.

Step 7:

Tighten the 4 sway bar bolts and torque to 40FTLBS.

Step 8:

Make sure there is no binding while the wheel is turned and if none occurs, tight then bearing bolts and set screws.  if binding happens, loosen the sway bar mount bolts and readjust the SBS bar.

2012 Ram 3500 SLT CCSB 4X4 Auto 4.10's
2002 2500 Sport Ext. Cab 4X4 lifted on 37's, Airdog, P-Pumped and twined. Traded In 5/2/13
2003 2500 SLT QCLB 4X4 Totaled

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: 2nd Gen Steering Box Stabilizer Install
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:01 pm »
Good Write Up Thanks

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY