270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2 New aditions to the garage!  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Buzzy

• To Bad I can't really shake it that good
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
2 New aditions to the garage!
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:53 pm »
Well, the wife decided that she finally wanted to take her MC basic coarse and get her license. So about 2 or 3 weeks ago she signed up for a class on March 10th and I started shopping for a starter bike for her. I started out looking for a beater 250cc for her to train on in parking lots but could not find anything worth buying. So I set a budget @ $3000 and started looking for a 600cc to 750cc bike like the vstar or shadow. I still could not find anything decent. The idea was this would be a bike she could both learn to ride on and also take on rides for a while till she got comfortable enough to move up to something else a little newer and nicer.

Well fast forward to last Saturday. We went to a local Harley dealer who also had a few used import cruisers in our budget. They turned out to be turds but we did see an Immaculate 96' Heritage Classic that had 10k miles on it and was cleaner than the brand new bikes! It was $9k and I had to drag my own ass out of the store by my own hair to keep from making an impulse buy!
So we leave, go home and chill out till Monday. We went Monday to the Harley dealer just down the road from us and they had no import bikes at all. But they did have quite a few used HD's and we started looking.
It was at that moment that my wheels started spinning and I figured, if we can't find a bike for $3k cash, then lets just finance a bike in the $8k range for a year or 2. So we looked and looked and the best option we could find was a really nice 2008 Heritage Classic for $12k with 5k miles on it.
So as you can see, we keep moving on up the scale and I am torn between what is the right bike and what is the best way to go. So we went outside to have a smoke and regroup. We go back in and I get prices on the 2012 883 Low models, they had one that was pearl white with hot Pink flames. She loved it and wanted it. Only problem was, well, it's an 883 and she would be wanting to trade out of it in a year! So I had her test fit a 1200 Low and had her man handle it around a bit. Seemed to be very balanced for her and seemed like it could be a good starter bike. It is a bit bigger than what I visioned going with as a starter bike for her but she was able to push it around and flop it back and forth just like the 883 she sat on.

Well, the price on it was $11k and I am thinking we have a winner here. New bike, warranty and a bike that is new and all hers! Almost brought a tear to my eye thinking how happy and proud she would be!!
Then I made the mistake of walking us past the Dyna Super Glide's as we went to go find our salesman again. She stopped in her tracks and said "look at this one" i looked around and could not figure out what she was looking at, there were only 2 dyna super glides there and both were black and chrome. That is not her style I though but she was all over it drooling and smiling.
I am sitting there thinking, this thing is only $900 more than the 1200 sporty but is twice the bike! I made her get on it, made sure she could sit flat footed (she is 5'4") and made her walk it down the isle and back. She did it with ease so we decided to bypass the starter bike and get her the bike that she will want to keep for at least a couple years.
She is not allowed to ride it untill after her class and then it's only in the parking lot for at least another couple full weekends 8 hours a day before I will let her on the road around the neighborhood

I am going to post pictures of her new bike but keep scrolling down past the pictures..............There is much more to this story than this. this is only part one!

So we buy the bike that night but it was closing time and we had to come back the next day so they could prep the bike for delivery to Dawn and go through the bla bla bla of trying to sell us HD gear and crap. Anyway, we head back down there and our slaes guy was busy with a customer.
Well let me back up a bit to the night before when we bought it. As some of you know, I ride a 08' Goldwing. Out of all my friends I ride with, I am the only one on a import. I get jacked with and poked fun at all the time but it does not bother me. I still know for a fact that the Goldwing is superior to ANY other bike on the planet for performance and comfort. That being said though, when we were driving home that night, it hit me like a ton of bricks right in the face, my Wife owns a friggin Harley and I don't! She will now be able to poke fun at me like the other HD bully's
Well Daddy ain't playing dat chit! So when we went back to pick up her bike, I looked at a few Ultra's. there was one that caught my eye and I started to get chills! My blood pressure spiked, I started sweating, shaking and wanted to puke!! All this because I knew what was getting ready to happen! Then with no warning at all, I snatched up my sales guy and started bombarding him with questions. Dawn knew what was going to happen and even though she was concerned about finances, i had it all planned out and knew right down to the dollar what i was going to pay, what my terms were and what we could afford. Because my poor ass had been stewing on this for the last 20 hours or so.

Long story short, I bought a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited in custom color "Tequila Sunrise" I started the ball rolling that night but once again, it was close to time to close and I did not have my trade with me. So last night, I got off work a little early, went home and rolled the Goldwing out of the garage for the last time. I have had the big girl for almost 2 years and it was a great ride. But it is time to get what I really want and that has always been an Ultra Classic or Street Glide.
I tell you what, I am a big guy and that Goldwing is a big bike. But it is faster than ANY stock Harley ever made and almost begs me to ride it like a sport bike! She will be missed!

Here is the new ride. The color just will not come out right in pictures for some reason. You simply must see this color in person to really see it. It looks VERY orage in these pictures but it is really a very heavily gold metal flaked orange pearl! In the sunlight it turns yellow, green, blue orange and red. It is wicked! The bottom half it bright Harley Orange.

Out with the old, in with the New................................

Offline Buford445

• Ram Section Moderator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
Re: 2 New aditions to the garage!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »
ABOUT DAMN TIME :lol: NIce Rides :up: :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:39 am »
Congrats Glynn, glad that you got yourself matched up properly with Dawn.  :up:

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:47 am »
DAMN nice ride! You are gonna love that new Glide! Congratulations man. I was in the Dealership yesterday checking out the Road Glide Custom. It's gonna be my next bike
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:14 am »
 :lol:  I love the story.  Started out spending $3k, ended spending near 10x that.  Congrats  :up:

Offline Buzzy

• To Bad I can't really shake it that good
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:08 am »
:lol:  I love the story.  Started out spending $3k, ended spending near 10x that.  Congrats  :up:

No Chit!!
What's even funnier is, that story is just the short version. I thought I was gonna have a stroke trying to decide what was the right thing to do. Then when it came to my bike? I spent 20 hours stressing out over worrying that the orange was too over the top, even for me!
I wanted the bike yesterday and did not want to wait another day but I had to make my mind up between the orange or a two tone red one. The red is a little more classy and classic look but the orange was friggin awesome. But what is I get it home and realize that sum bioch is WAY BRIGHT ORANGE?? So I made 2 trips yesterday to the dealer to finalize the color and get the VIN info to insurance..........LOL.

The sale guy George was laughing the whole time!

As it sits right now, we don't even know if the Wife will even like riding yet and there is a Brand New Dyna sitting in the garage!!

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:30 am »
Glyn, as if you haven't already spent enough money, have a look...
http://tailgunnerexhaust.com/gunships-for-HD.php
 :drool:
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline Parts/Service

• Super Dave!!
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MOTYDonorDistinguishedTech
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:40 am »
Congrats to you both....

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:13 am »
Sweet bikes-
The orange pearl is a great color too!
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline jcodner

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:06:55 am »
nice rides me buddy
Jordon
04.5 2500, S&B Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Cortex programmer, silencer ring MIA, 08.5 steering upgrade,  more to come wit time hopefully

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:08:59 am »
Them there some nice bikes...

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc