270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: rusty exhaust = bad emmisions!  (Read 1068 times)

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
rusty exhaust = bad emmisions!
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:26:15 am »
ok, so i need to get my inspection sticker this month (MA) and i have hole in my exhaust (more like a rot lol).  It's the piece that attatches to the manifold and starts to go under the cab.  I have stopped anywhere yet, just looked online.  Only problem is i have NO clue what that piece is called, and i can't find a labeled diagram anywhere either, so thats awesome too lol.  I guess i just want to know if it would be best to take it to a mechanic or DIY, i am more than able to swap out a pipe, but if it's anything major like bending or flaring such a large diameter pipe, i don't think that is within my limit.  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys! 
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline JohnM

• Awards:
Re: rusty exhaust = bad emmisions!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:18 am »
From your description, sounds like the "crossover pipe".  I got a new one when I ordered my high flow cat from Magnaflow.  Have no idea on the cost, it was 3 yrs ago.

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »
lol, crossover pipe is better than what i was going by "that piece" lol.  thanks, it's a start
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
I've always called it a "y pipe".  To me a crossover pipe would be when joining duals together with an "h" or "x" pipe.... but i guess it depends where you are from. </serious>

If you are redoing your exhaust, don't forget to include an "o" pipe adapter to retain back pressure.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

:lol: jk on the last part obviously.  Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:23:28 pm by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
yeah, after looking up that piece, i dont think it is that at all.  I am at work until 11 tonight, but i will try to sneak out and snap a picture, but for now, if this is looking at the manifold,

it would be the pipe that attached to the pipe comming off of the left of it....  maybe it is the Cross over, but since i am not really knowledgable with exhaust systems/proper names i can't really say.  Also, it is the passenger side (if that makes a difference).....

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:25:48 am »
yeah, after looking up that piece, i dont think it is that at all.  I am at work until 11 tonight, but i will try to sneak out and snap a picture, but for now, if this is looking at the manifold,
it would be the pipe that attached to the pipe comming off of the left of it....  maybe it is the Cross over, but since i am not really knowledgable with exhaust systems/proper names i can't really say.  Also, it is the passenger side (if that makes a difference).....

I was kidding about the link I provided in my post above.  What year is your truck?  Like JohnM mentioned, magnaflow offers a kit including a cat.  When I put my magnaflow in, I kept the stock y pipe setup...  but mine also wasn't rusted through either.  To save you some time in snapping a pic, I have a pic of part of the pipes your referring too (from when I did my trans filter... about to pull the old one out).

Most exhaust shops can probably make these pipes for you too.

Also, is the truck not passing visual inspection due to rust?  Or is there a CEL associated with it? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:04:03 am by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc