270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Tie rod time  (Read 951 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Tie rod time
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:35:39 am »
All my tie rods are completely shot. So tomorrow I'm buying all new ones to put on while I've got the truck on stands. My main question is are there any big things I need to pay attention to, or can I just put them back following the way I took them apart and I'll be fine? Also I'm replacing the pitman arm and is there anything to watch out for on that?
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
Re: Tie rod time
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:38:45 am »
Make sure you secure the steering wheel to keep it from turning when you have it all apart.  IIRC, letting it spin freely can mess up a clock spring in the wheel and render your airbag useless.

I've actually had a whole set of tie rods sitting at the house for almost a year.  I was waiting to get more front end parts so I only have to tear it down once.  Hopefully, I can get it done in the next few weeks. Or at the G2G if there is time and space and I can get my truck up there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:42:13 am by ChinookFE »

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
Make sure you secure the steering wheel to keep it from turning when you have it all apart.  IIRC, letting it spin freely can mess up a clock spring in the wheel and render your airbag useless.

That is correct.  I learned the hard way when my daughter decided to "drive" while I had the parts off. 

Easy on-easy off.  If you measure the distance from end to end before you take it apart the toe will be close enough to not give you any issues when you drive to get the alignment.

Edit: Rent a GOOD pitman arm puller.  Makes taking it off much easier.  I live in the south so I don't worry about the salt/rust and mine came off very easy.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:31 am »
I bought a puller for like ten bucks at work and got the arm off in like fifteen mins. New drop arm is on, all the tie rods are in place but not tightened yet. Installed the adjustable trac bar bracket, had the rotors turned today and got new pads. Plan to work on it a bit more tomorrow after work. Then hopefully wrap it all up on Sunday.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc