270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Florida keys  (Read 5803 times)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Florida keys
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
Gonna start a thread for our trip to the keys. Will post vids and pics as time/connection allows. So far day one got us to London KY. with rain all the way. Day 2 got us to Tilton GA., rain about 60% of the time. Driving thru/around Atlanta sucks as it is, sucks even more during a torrential downpour. Day 3 got us to Palmetto Fla. with spotty rain here and there. Picked up the sis-in-law and mother-in-law and day 4 got us to Long key with another torrrential rain storm thru the glades and thru Homestead/Miami area. This area is no better if not worse than Atlanta. Pics and video will be coming soon.  :pic:

Have only been here 1 day and have seen with the locals that there is a fine line between layed back and lazy....  :lol:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: Florida keys
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:40:28 pm »
Laid back= I'll get another beer when I get up

Lazy= calling your wife on her phone telling her to bring you another beer.

It takes about 2 days to sloooow down to the local speed.  Enjoy your time there
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:17 am »
when did you go thru Atlanta?

any time from about 5:00am to about 7:00PM is the wrong time. . . :suicide:

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Florida keys
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:34 am »

any time is the wrong time. . . :suicide:

Fixed it for ya! ;D
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:10 am »
I've found the best time to go to the Keys is the "winter" time. Florida winter is the best weather I've ever experienced. It isn't rainy or hot season (shocking, I know), there is a gorgeous breeze, and the sky and water are a stunning blue. Plus you can't beat the sunset during that time of year there.
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:53:57 am »

any time is the wrong time. . . :suicide:

Fixed it for ya! ;D

:lol:

yea, thats about right. . .guess Ive gotten used to it.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:02:21 am »
So whats the best time to pull a 34' 5th wheel thru Atlanta?

In all honesty, it doesn't matter a rats ass, I find my lane like the rest of them.  You wanna wreck me, hope your chevy cobalt can stop 22000 pounds of crap rolling over you!
I've pulled thru NYC, Dallas Ft Worth, San Diego, Chicago, DC, it doesn't matter and I've got insurance, do you?
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:43 am »

Trying to remember.....I'm thinking 2-3:00 in the afternoon, but may have been earlier. I do know it was about 5-6pm when we stopped for the night in Tilton ? GA.  I do remember it was raining so hard I couldn't see more than one car ahead of me. Wall to wall traffic with all lanes full, plus none of them had a driver that new how to drive in the rain.  :argh:

As for the best time, there probably isn't a 'best time'. Just a lot of traffic but it keeps moving along. Now the little fiasco thru the Miami/Homestead area.....listening to the broad on the GPS instead of looking at a map like I should have, took me into Miami, then south down 997 to connect to 1 then into the Keys. Plus the whole area is chewed up from construction, AND I was stuck behind what looked like a 35' Bertram boat that seen its best days years ago, half off the trailer, for about 5 freakin' miles. I know a new Bertram cost mega cash, but this one wasn't worth the gas to haul it anywhere. AND it was raining hard as hell all the way from the middle of the Everglades on I-75 until I got to Key Largo. What's the deal down here that whenever it rains they put on the emergency flashers and drive 10mph? Had half a dozen cars honk there horn at me when I went by at about 60mph...... if they can't 'drive by wire' then get off the road.  :43:

Got free wifi up at the bar, so will load up what I got so far. For some reason my phone connection won't let me connect to my photobucket account.  :banging:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:18:28 am by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:20:31 am »

Trying to remember.....I'm thinking 2-3:00 in the afternoon, but may have been earlier. I do know it was about 5-6pm when we stopped for the night in Tilton ? GA.  I do remember it was raining so hard I couldn't see more than one car ahead of me. Wall to wall traffic with all lanes full, plus none of them had a driver that new how to drive in the rain.  :argh:

As for the best time, there probably isn't a 'best time'. Just a lot of traffic but it keeps moving along. Now the little fiasco thru the Miami/Homestead area.....listening to the broad on the GPS instead of looking at a map like I should have, took me into Miami, then south down 997 to connect to 1 then into the Keys. Plus the whole area is chewed up from construction, AND I was stuck behind what looked like a 35' Bertram boat that seen its best days years ago, half off the trailer, for about 5 freakin' miles. I know a new Bertram cost mega cash, but this one wasn't worth the gas to haul it anywhere. AND it was raining hard as hell all the way from the middle of the Everglades on I-75 until I got to Key Largo. What's the deal down here that whenever it rains they put on the emergency flashers and drive 10mph? Had half a dozen cars honk there horn at me when I went by at about 60mph...... if they can't 'drive by wire' then get off the road.  :43:

Got free wifi up at the bar, so will load up what I got so far. For some reason my phone connection won't let me connect to my photobucket account.  :banging:

Get a turnpike pass, then you don't have to go US1.  Also bypass Key Largo- go the direct way back to Florida city.
Enjoy your stay and relax man- you need it  :whistling:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:23:55 am by Jims1dodge »
You can't fix stupid

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:08 am »
Not going with the sunpass. They can take my picture and mail the bill...that's if they can read the plate with all the junk, bikes, and grime covering the plate.  :lol:

Thinking of taking 41 back instead of I-75, so will have to see how to get there. So far have tallied just over 1700 miles so far.

The download speed here is 54m. The upload is around 30k.  :banging: Figured about 2 hours to download the video. At $3.25 a glass for beer, I can't afford to download at this time.  :lol:

Said boat that I followed thru the Miami/Homestead area

Yes you camp like the so called sardine down here.

Home sweet home

campground...

Some of the locals....

This is for Tom. A little 'option' for the 5'er....

Heading to Key West monday. Running a dually around the town of key west should be exciting....  :lol:   :suicide:

More to come....

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 12:44:23 am »
Yup, Key West is fun with a dually.  There are some paid $5 parking lots on the street before Duval down by Mallory Square.  Another lot is behind Sloppy Joes.

You can't fix stupid

Offline Drew

• Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 01:08:55 am »
Ken, the town is Tifton GA. F not L ;)

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »
Dude I JUST got back from Key West! I've been there several times and fall deeper in love with it every time. I could definitely see me living there someday! :up:

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »
Make sure to give a shout when you get closer to Tampa!
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:46 am »
Wound up running the dually down duval street today around 10:00am. Didn't know it was spring break, and there was 3 cruise ships in town. Rode the trolly, and according to the pedometer walked 7miles today.
Donny, it is nice here, and I am having a good time. But can't ever see me wanting to live here. Been to hot, and to windy for me. Be a lot better place if tbere wasn't any people ...

Smitty will be in palmetto Wednesday afternoon, stock up some supplies for the ride home, and possibly pick up my bro-in-law who is flying down to friends Tuesday. Pulling out early Thursday morning to head to Alabama. A lot more miles to go.

Sent from my Zio using the magic of the stars.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc