270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Florida keys  (Read 5792 times)

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
Re: Florida keys
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »
Looks like we may miss each other Ken. Already had reservations for some camping this weekend, but was considering cancelling to go to the G2G. Does not look like I will be able to make the G2G, so will be heading out Friday for our camping trip. Will be working Thursday, but depending on what time you get into Palmetto Wednesday may be able to do something Wed sometime after work. Palmetto is only about 30 miles from where I live. Would hate for you to be so close and not meet!
2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 CTD
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLS

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »
Wow, what a trip! Finally got the pics loaded up. So here are a few.

Here's the video of the bypass we had to take because of the rock slide that closed off I-75 just into Tennessee. At the time everything, including semi's where diverted this way. We had already passed the 'hairy' part, but this shows the rock face. There was a river on the other side, way down in the bottom of the gorge. Beautiful view though. (check out the mustang and where he was coming around the corner!)

Some wildlife we seen.

The Coral Castle.

Couple of bars in Key West.

Me, the wife, and her mother.

Hurricane memorial

The lilac's were in full bloom all the way thru Kentucky. Made for a nice scenic view.

Never know what you will see while traveling down the e-way...

It was pushing close to 70 degrees as we were rolling thru northern Tennessee, but started dropping as we were almost thru Kentucky. This is what I had when I parked the truck when we got home.

And finally the total miles for the trip.

What a wonderful trip! the Keys are a wonderful place to visit, next time it will be spent fishing! Key West was great, but don't know if I could take more than a couple days at a time. But I recommend everyone go there at least once.

We did have a side trip to Alabama, and wound up touring more of it than I planned. Traveled all the way to Montgomery for the drag races, had a great time. Got some pics of the GTG, but got to find them. I sure hope I didn't wipe them out.  :eek:

All in all an excellent adventure! Looks like the next one may be Washington DC possibly next year. Will have to see.

And finally, can't forget the Florida Keys sunset.

Here's a link to all the pics.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/krz71/Florida%20Keys/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:40:01 pm by kenz »

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
Glad you had a good time Ken  :2cool:

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
One thing that I didn't know about the Hurricane Memorial is that there were a lot of Vets that died during the Hurricane that were there working on a new road for WPA. Something like 300 or so people, 200 of them veterans, were cremated and laid to rest in a crypt at the base of the monument. Amazing what the power of Mother Nature can do.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
One thing that I didn't know about the Hurricane Memorial is that there were a lot of Vets that died during the Hurricane that were there working on a new road for WPA. Something like 300 or so people, 200 of them veterans, were cremated and laid to rest in a crypt at the base of the monument. Amazing what the power of Mother Nature can do.

A bunch of WWI vets I believe. Weren't they on a train trying to get out? Think that is the story.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

A bunch of WWI vets I believe. Weren't they on a train trying to get out? Think that is the story.

http://www.keyshistory.org/hurrmemorial.html
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline Smitty

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSAF
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »
 :up: Thanks

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
"So, the next time you cross the Channel Two bridge at mile marker 73, look about 800 feet to the west (Gulf side) for the remains of eight bridge piers built by the WW-1 veterans in the water and remember this part of Keys history."

I remember seeing these in the water, and wondered if they were remains of the original bridge. We were actually camped on Fiesta Key, MM 70.

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »
"So, the next time you cross the Channel Two bridge at mile marker 73, look about 800 feet to the west (Gulf side) for the remains of eight bridge piers built by the WW-1 veterans in the water and remember this part of Keys history."

I remember seeing these in the water, and wondered if they were remains of the original bridge. We were actually camped on Fiesta Key, MM 70.

Next time I drive to the Keys I'll be taking a picture of it. It'll be a while til that happens, though. I'm hoping if the cards play out right to do a trip to the Keys in December with Jake, but probably not all the way down to Key West (that is a 5 hours drive one way from my parents' house). So much Florida history and I barely know it.

**A cute, small midget

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 02:51:54 am »
I guess that's my downfall when on vacation. Between the relaxing and all the 'tourist' things to do, I still seek out the past of wherever I may be. I like history, my wife not so much. But we compromise, she will do the history stuff, and I'll do the touristy stuff. In the end we both have a good time. Of coarse if we wind up in DC next, she might be S.O.L.  :43:

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 03:09:14 am »
I guess that's my downfall when on vacation. Between the relaxing and all the 'tourist' things to do, I still seek out the past of wherever I may be. I like history, my wife not so much. But we compromise, she will do the history stuff, and I'll do the touristy stuff. In the end we both have a good time. Of coarse if we wind up in DC next, she might be S.O.L.  :43:

I've been to DC five times and STILL have not seen everything! And every time I've gone the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial have both been under scaffolding. One day I will get out there and see everything I missed out on.

**A cute, small midget

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:52 pm »
As i was reading some of this... i was thinking about how Donny and I used to joke around about making a trip to the Keys on our bikes or something like that.

I did some back research and i think ive found where it all originated from...

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-cummins-diesel/116685-gooseneck-flat-bed-trailer.html

I was cracking up reading through that thread from back in the days!  :lol:

Ken- Those are some pretty amazing pictures! Id put my jealousy factor at around a 11 after seeing them! My buddies ex girlfriend moved to the keys for 2 years and every time she comes back (my buddy still talks to her when she visits back), im fascinated to hear how the lifestyle goes down there. If only there was more of a demand for concrete driveways down there... id pack up and move in a second!  :whistling:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline 1ACarlos

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
Definitely one of the best places to go in the US.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc