270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: "split year", wtf?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
"split year", wtf?
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:24 pm »
 I made my way to Autozone and asked for the O2 sensor they come back with "which one"....?  I did some looking around online and found that 95 only has 1, so i was puzzled....  The guy behind the counter then said that 94 and before has only one.  So he went under my truck, and poked around and came to the conclusion that i have a "split year" Ram.  I had no idea that this was something that was done lol.  My manufacture date is 5/95, he said they usually start the new years in September.  I'm just glad i was able to figure it out, it was my 3rd trip back to autozone in 2 weeks, and i was beginning to feel like an asshole hahaha.  So tomorrow i am going to change it out, and i'll snap acouple of pictures just incase anyone hasn't done it done it before/wants to know how to do it.  So basically the moral of the story?  If you only have 1 but AZ is saying you got 2, you probably have a split year, and your really a 94 lol.
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
Re: "split year", wtf?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »
Ya, sometimes stuff like that happens. I don't know if calling it a 'split year' is actually correct, but occasionally when a change comes in when production has already started or about to start, sometimes they will 'burn up' the previous year's parts before starting the new version. I had a '87 Caprice that had a bunch of '86 parts on it. Seems that since the car was getting a massive change for '88 they used up everything they had laying around for '87.

Case in point also, was the '99 Ford Superduty truck. The '97 old body style was made until '98, and the '99 new body style was available early '98, with many changes done in that year and a half. That's why you need to know if you have a early '99, mid '99, or late '99.  :banging:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44:23 am »
well, more good new from the land of "my girlfriend despizes my truck-land".  Changed out the O2 (could take pics, too tight of space), ran it hot, shut it off, then ran it again, no check engine light, no nothing   :clap:.....  About 45 minutes pass, i needed to leave for work, got in, JUST got on the highway, and gave it some throttle, and  :fart:, check engine light comes on.... WTF?!!!  I can't catch a break!  Maybe i need to clear the light?  The harage that changed my cat said thewy would run a diagnostic on it to check what the light was, worse case scenario, at least i know what it is if it's something else.  So i will be able to get into that shop of Friday morning/afternoon, tomorrow is for my girlfriend's Corolla (dealer work  :$:).   One more thing, it did seem less symptomatic when the light came on this time, maybe it just needs to warm up?  I never had to change and O2 sensor before, so i don't know if there are after effects that i should be aware of?
So what if i'm turning my Ram into a Decepticon?  Not like it's THAT sad......ok, it is that sad.... ;)

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »
well, more good new from the land of "my girlfriend despizes my truck-land".  Changed out the O2 (could take pics, too tight of space), ran it hot, shut it off, then ran it again, no check engine light, no nothing   :clap:.....  About 45 minutes pass, i needed to leave for work, got in, JUST got on the highway, and gave it some throttle, and  :fart:, check engine light comes on.... WTF?!!!  I can't catch a break!  Maybe i need to clear the light?  The harage that changed my cat said thewy would run a diagnostic on it to check what the light was, worse case scenario, at least i know what it is if it's something else.  So i will be able to get into that shop of Friday morning/afternoon, tomorrow is for my girlfriend's Corolla (dealer work  :$:).   One more thing, it did seem less symptomatic when the light came on this time, maybe it just needs to warm up?  I never had to change and O2 sensor before, so i don't know if there are after effects that i should be aware of?

When you find out what the code is, post it.
01 1500 4x4

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:32 pm »

When you find out what the code is, post it.

only if you promise to post on all my posts so i can see more of your avatar lol

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:54:36 pm »
ok, so got the codes read, when they showed me, the didn't have the codes there, just the descriptions. 

1)Mass Airflow
2)Trans temp

Now, after looking around, i founf that my 95/94 ram DOESN'T have a Mass Airflow (thingy lol), but it does have the IAT, and my temp does randomly sky rocket, then go down, so it does kinda make sense.  And the trans temp, i am not even going to look into, because i have a feeling it will be too much money, and my truk isn't worth the money i already sunk into it, about 1,300 bucks.  So i am going to go to autozone within the next few days, probably tomorrow, and pick up the IAT, and hopefully it will take care of the boggyness, and if the engine light still comes on, as long as it runs fine, i won't complain

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
You got me on that one.  Something sounds funky with both codes.  You are right on the maf.  I didn't think trans temp causes a cel, it has its own light right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
01 1500 4x4

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:47:37 am »
Okay, I have a '96 318 (It's in a Dakota, but it's the same engine)
Instead of a MAF, I have  MAP.  Does pretty much the same job as the MAF.  It's on the throttle body.  Check those vacuum lines... One of mine was weak and would start to collapse.

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:15 am »
ok, so i changed the IAT, the old one looked gunky, but that could just be normal, however, guess what came one?!  :suicide:
anyway, im going to look into the trans piece, aswell as the MAP, see how much they are, and see what i can do....  there is only so much secrect spending i can do at autozone until the wife finds out lol

EDIT: i don't know about a trans light, i'll take a close look at my dash tomorrow, and see if i can see it.

Offline JetNoise

• Lead Moderator
  • Master Technician
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:18 am »
And, just for further reference, AutoZone CAN give you the code number as well as printing it out.  (I work there, so I know firsthand.)   :fart:

1996 Dakota SLT 2WD, 318
Hopkins

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
And, just for further reference, AutoZone CAN give you the code number as well as printing it out.  (I work there, so I know firsthand.)   :fart:

yeah, i know, but they don't have an OBD I reader, i had to go to my exhaust guys to get it read

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »
Ok, so i looked into the the two parts i (may) need, the Trans Temp Sensor, and MAP, both are roughly $60 bucks at Autozone. Also, i've been looking online for "bad MAP symptoms" and it does sound like what i got, burning too rich/lean and poor accelleration.  I just gotta look into the trans temp sensor a bit and see what the work  involves in that (i don't assume much, it's just a small piece that screws in, like the IAT. Either way, i think i know what my next part is, lol.  Also, i totally scored from my folks.  They were cleaning out their basement, and wanted all the tools out, so i got a free 15 gal Air copmpessor, 50 ft hose, about 10 air tools, (impact gun, wrench, cutter), not to mention a rotary too and their Arc Welder ( that has only been used once.....by me, trying to figure out how to weld LOL).  So event hough my truck is still have issues, it was a good weekend!  Also, if anyone lives in my area (Salem, MA), and would like the arc welde, feel free to message me, i'd love to work something out.

Offline RAMItDown

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
    HM100
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:42 pm »
AWSOME!  So i'm driving, and notice that my truck is giving CRAP TONS of resistance, after i get off the highway, i hit a red light, and see smoke coming out the the engine area, and a smell.......  the smell of burning brake pads........ Once i get home, i take a peek at..... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!  My calipers a locked up!!!  I haven't even figured out what was wrong with the check engine light, and this happens?!  I am officially DONE witht his truck, and now am shopping Autotrader.com, goodbye, headache.......

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc