270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: A not so "Rad" day  (Read 1002 times)

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
A not so "Rad" day
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:09 am »
     Woke up this morning and jumped in the truck, headed to my VW guy's shop to pick up some odds and ends to start getting the motor back together. I was cruising down the road and started hearing a ticking from under the hood of the Dodge, it started getting louder and the truck started running pretty rough, I looked in my mirror to see if there was anyone behind me before I pulled over and I saw a light white haze behind the truck. Pulled it to the side of the road and as soon as I stopped, white smoke enveloped the front of my truck. I thought it was on fire, so I jumped out as fast as I could, get to the front and I can see that its spraying coolant out of the side of the radiator.  :banging: After waiting on the side of the road for over an hour, I finally got a ride back to the house to wait for my roommate to get back from Florida so that we can get my truck fixed.

We decided to just swap the radiator out on the side of the road instead of towing the truck home. We get the radiator swapped out with no problems, start filling it with coolant and I can hear something splashing on the ground. It was coming out from the water pump, as fast as we were pouring it in. At this point we decided to tow it back to the house so that we can swap the water pump out. I got it home and started tearing it down, and saw that there was a hose into the top of the water pump that had been held on with a zip-tie that had broken. Threw a band clamp on it and got it all back together and filled it with coolant again. Started it up and let it run for about 20 min and then took it for a short drive and there doesn't seem to be any more leaks.

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Re: A not so "Rad" day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:06:20 am »
I carry an extra bypass hose, and an extra bypass tube with me all the time since i've had both fail on me before. At least the pump wasn't bad, or even worse, a head gasket.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline 1ACarlos

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
Re: A not so "Rad" day
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:59:50 pm »
Awesome job

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc