270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 1014 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Bad news
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:11:18 am »
Tonight I decided to change the diff fluids with my oil change. The front i knew had been changed since I bought the truck. But the rear to my knowledge has never been touched and when i drained the fluid it was quite apparent. Now the bad part is when I took the rear cover all the way off, sitting on that little magnetic tray inside the pumpkin, was a huge piece of metal and metal shavings all over the place.

I researched the part that i found a little bit and what it is, is one of the limited slip clutch retainers had come out of its place and now rest at the bottom of the diff. And i found part of a second retainer that may be coming out soon. The rear end doesn't make any noise and drives just fine. So i pulled the parts out and filled it back up with fluid. This is my only truck right now so i don't have a real option of parking it again like i did when the trans went out.

But from the looks of it, I have to plan on swapping in my 3/4 ton axles a lot sooner than i had originally planned.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
Re: Bad news
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:37:45 am »
 :argh:

Ignorance is bliss man!! Stop destroying stuff!  :90:

It sucks that its coming apart... but at least you can live without limited slip if need be...

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »
Dayum - sorry to hear it!

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »
That suck man, but it's pretty normal for that rear end. Did you check to make sure that one of the clips wasn't grinding into the housing and bearing cap on the right side? That is also pretty common. I've seen some grind far enough to almost go all the way through the bearing cap into the bolt....

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc